Official BYC Poll: How Do You Chicken-Proof Your Garden?

How Do You Chicken-Proof Your Garden?

• My plants are caged/fenced in

Votes: 98 51.9%
  • My chickens don't free-range (they are confined to their runs)

Votes: 39 20.6%
  • My chickens have their own "chicken garden"

Votes: 27 14.3%
  • I plant herbs that my chickens dislike strategically around my garden

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Mi Casa Su Casa - My garden is their garden

Votes: 35 18.5%
  • I don't have a garden

Votes: 7 3.7%
  • I scatter gravel around my plants to discourage scratching

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don't garden in the chicken runs

Votes: 37 19.6%
  • Other (please elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 23 12.2%

• Total voters
my garden is above ground, and they pretty much for the most part, ignore it. I KNOW they can see the blueberries, strawberries but so far, no attempts to get at them have been made. They have plenty of other lawn to scratch around in and adventure so maybe they are just happy with that and the lure is not overwhelming, really not sure but glad I don't have to swat at them or anything to deter them from MY food :D

Aaron

Garden jail and I am also switching to more fruit trees
20191125_081952.jpg
20191125_082031 (2).jpg

I've had a fence around my garden since I put it in, long before I got chickens. Otherwise, the rabbits and deer would eat everything.

I am thinking about building a chicken moat around some of the garden. Put those birds to work eating the grass that grows in under the fence!
Yes! The deer and rabbits are mostly repelled by a 6-foot fence, but I would love a 'moat' to allow the chickens to act like perimeter guards against the grasshoppers (which, fortunately, they love).

I have a raised garden bed with chicken wire 4' high around the sides. Keeps the chickens out, but more importantly, in my opinion, the deer and rabbits.
I also built fences around my garden, raised flower beds and potted plants. I have to place the fence far enough outside the flower area so my ducks can't stretch their necks inside enough to reach the plants. My bantum silkies and Pekin ducks don't fly, so I don't have to cover the top.

I share some of my garden with the hens...I'm always learning and trying new things!

I have plastic fencing tubes around some plants to protect the foliage. These also support the plant later in summer when we get strong winds.

And rocks and logs around the base of plants to protect the roots from being dug out.

I've fenced off the veggie plot!

I edge the paths and garden beds with logs and rocks to help keep the soil where I want and not on the path!

Gardening with chickens can be a pleasure as well as frustrating. On one hand, they provide chemical-free bug and weed control in your garden and are manufacturers of the world's best fertilizer but then on the other hand chickens will happily snack on your veggies if given the chance to.

Chickens scratch, peck, and eat. It's what they do. They can demolish a bed of greens in a day, leaving little behind. However, that doesn't mean you have to abandon your garden! With a bit of management, you can have bug control without your chickens feasting on your prized broccoli and lettuce.

So how do you protect your veggie garden from your chickens?

Feel free to choose multiple answers and please elaborate in the comment section if you choose "Other".

View attachment 2626614

(Check out more exciting Official BYC Polls HERE!)
My chickens stay off the raised beds. I don't have an issue.

What garden, lol?

Yeah, we used to have a garden. Now we have chickens! 😆

I actually do have a tiny little garden next to the house. It is supposed to have four kinds of mint in it and a little section of catnip, sigh. Catnip is AGGRESSIVE! It is already nearly up to my shoulders. I'm a little afraid of it. Pretty sure if I go in there to do battle with it I am going to come out covered in ticks.

I hate ticks.

Maybe I will put some chickens in there and let them duke it out with the ticks.

Back
Top Bottom