Official BYC Poll: How Do You Keep Your Coop Smelling Fresh?

How Do You Keep Your Coop Smelling Fresh?

• I keep things as dry as possible inside the coop

Votes: 265 65.9%
  • I use lime on my coop floors

Votes: 38 9.5%
  • I've installed a box fan for air circulation

Votes: 38 9.5%
  • I hang fragrant herbs such as basil, mint, lavender, etc around the coop

Votes: 57 14.2%
  • I regularly clean out anything that is soiled or moist

Votes: 230 57.2%
  • My coop is well-ventilated

Votes: 251 62.4%
  • I use Sweet PDZ Coop Refresher in the coop

Votes: 96 23.9%
  • Other (please elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 57 14.2%

• Total voters
Pics

BYC Project Manager

BYC Staff
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
15 Years
Feb 22, 2009
One thing any chicken keeper will tell you is that chickens can get messy and keeping the coop clean(ish) and odor-free can be a challenge. So please share with us: How Do You Keep Your Coop Smelling Fresh and odors under control?

Please place your vote above, and please elaborate in a reply below if you chose "Other".

official byc poll (1).png

Further Reading:

Check out more exciting Official BYC Polls HERE!...

Last edited:
A thin layer of Sweet PDZ on the poop boards, poop boards scooped daily, hemp bedding on the coop floor, hemp bedding changed out annually, 22 sq ft of year round ventilation with an additional 22 sq ft opened up for warm weather ventilation and probably most significantly, a predator proof run attached to the coop where the pop door is never closed where the chickens immediately retreat to when coming off the roost.
The run is covered with wood chips that get raked about every other month to even them out and everything cold composts in there. I've never removed material from the run. My brother-in-law commented when he entered the coop for the first time "I can't believe it doesn't smell in here."
2CAA8E144C7F_1578235491412.png

2CAA8E144D14_1612196037243.png

I live in a wet environment, so keeping the coop as dry as possible at all times is the goal. I have around 3 sq ft of ventilation per chicken, so well over the recommended amount of ventilation. Waterer stays out in the run. I use wood chips as bedding with hemp under the roosts and I clean up under roosts each morning. Currently trying to see if I can go a year without doing a full cleanout, and so far so good.

As dry as possible and lots of ventilation. Cleaning the poop board when it’s starting to smell.
  • A huge amount of ventilation. About 30%-35% of the walls is open with hwc.
  • Blocking the rain and wind on the west side (our rainy weather direction).
  • A poop board for easy cleaning under the roosts. I do that every month or so (depending on the weather)
64D0719F-078D-4226-8DD5-73737627C286.jpeg

Chicks taking over the adult roosts 🤣. I have dried grass clippings under the roost right now.
There is a window behind the hwc on the right side (east). When temperatures rise to 30C / 90 F in summer I take the window away for even more ventilation. The south side is always open and is connected to a small run.
During winter I close the small hwc openings in the back and left (north and east) against the cold with panels. The soil/sand bottom has a little straw on top. It’s still there from last winter when it was very cold.
B06D54D5-D8D4-407A-B0FD-01FF6F08E6A7.jpeg
I rarely clean the soil/sand in the coop/small run because the chickens don’t poop there. The chickens use the poopboard or go outside to the net covered run for their dirty work.

Back
Top Bottom