Official BYC Poll: How do you name your pet chickens?

How do you name your pet chickens?

• We don’t name our chickens!

Votes: 33 7.2%
  • We let the kids name them.

Votes: 77 16.8%
  • We give them old-fashioned names (Flora, Prissy, Hazel, etc.).

Votes: 81 17.7%
  • We start their names with the same letter (Bailey, Barb, Beatrice, etc.).

Votes: 11 2.4%
  • We name them by personality (Sassy, Gabby, Bossy, etc.).

Votes: 112 24.5%
  • We name them after food (Peanut, Nugget, etc.).

Votes: 78 17.1%
  • We don’t have a special system.

Votes: 162 35.4%
  • We name them by appearance (Red, Fluffy, Lavender, etc.).

Votes: 145 31.7%
  • Other (elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 150 32.8%

• Total voters
Pics
My chickens' names come from all of the above. My friend's 10-year-old daughter, who was a very creative namer, named most of our first flock, which is why I have older chickens named Happy, Smudge and Sushi. Sushi is a particular favorite, so when I got another Americana with this spring's chicks, I named her Kimchee. Some have names based on their actions--such as Racer and Hopper (who got out of the pen even when her wings were clipped--now we just let her go where she pleases). I named my four original barred rocks after female surgeon generals, so they could all live in the C. Everett Koop, which I found very amusing, even though few people got it. Blue Agate, Daisy Sunshine and Stevonni are thanks to my friend's daughter again. Lately, I've just been going with breed-inspired names. I have a Welsummer named Summer (which worked well because her foster mother is named Spring), and a young California Grey named Callie, and a Delaware named DeeDee.

My first group of hens are my Golden Girls- Dorothy, Sophia, Rose & Blanche.
The next hens came a couple of weeks later. Leghorn ladies are names after gems- Diamond, Pearl, Ruby & Sapphire. Sadly Opal died earlier this summer. Brown hens are Blair, Trudy & Natalie. Jo took off.
Bard rock ladies are Peanut, Butter & Jelly. Peanut was tiny and mighty escape artist in the starter pen.

I don’t have much of a system. A few are named by happenstance.
Dark Brahma is Boots because I kept referring to him as the one that has “boots with the fur.” A tiny, white silkie is Chicken Little because he’s the smallest.
A black silkie is Kid Rock because his crest reminds me of a rockstar.
I brought home a trio of pullet Marans and it’s close to Halloween so they are deemed “The Sanderson Sisters,” Winifred, Mary & Sarah.
Pretty satin silkie with attitude is named DJ after my daughter, Dakota Jade.
Salmon Favorelle is called Sam, Sammy, Sam Bone, Samalamadingdong or what ever else comes to mind.
Cream legbar named Hillary Fluff because my kid named her.
The rest do not have names yet. I never go looking for a name. I just name them when something strikes me.

I just watch and listen for awhile and wait for them to “tell” me their name. Unless it’s an adoptee, all my animals over the years have ”told” me their names 😉 Happily this approach has worked quite well in terms of humans enjoying their names.

Well, except for Hank the Welsumer rooster. As I hand raised him, he’s quite amiable to me by rooster standards. However, my spouse didn’t spend time with Hank as he matured. Thus he has nicknamed him the crude word for anus. Hank doesn’t appreciate it—neither do I—and so of course acts out even more toward him 🙄

I just watch and listen for awhile and wait for them to “tell” me their name. Unless it’s an adoptee, all my animals over the years have ”told” me their names 😉 Happily this approach has worked quite well in terms of humans enjoying their names.

Well, except for Hank the Welsumer rooster. As I hand raised him, he’s quite amiable to me by rooster standards. However, my spouse didn’t spend time with Hank as he matured. Thus he has nicknamed him the crude word for anus. Hank doesn’t appreciate it—neither do I—and so of course acts out even more toward him 🙄
I let the girls tell me their names. I have Selena, an Austra White, Angie. A red toned Lakeshore egger and the Twins Meg and Peg, also Lakeshore eggers. As chicks, they looked identical. Now, they are similar but distinctly different.

We have named all of our chickens after the birds from the book Scrambled Eggs Super by Dr. Suess (and my username on here is from there too). My oldest child loved Dr. Suess books when we first got chickens, and this lets us all have a little laugh when we get new chickens to name. We do shorten some of them to nicknames though (Bombastic Aghast is called Aggy and Salamagoox is called Sally). Although we are almost out of names from this book so we might be branching out the next time we add to our flock!

Back
Top Bottom