Official BYC Poll: How Is Your Run Covered?

How Is Your Run Covered?

• With netting

Votes: 82 23.3%
  • With hardware cloth

Votes: 77 21.9%
  • With a solid roof

Votes: 131 37.2%
  • With a tarp

Votes: 60 17.0%
  • My run isn't covered

Votes: 57 16.2%
  • Other (elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 29 8.2%

• Total voters
For many chicken keepers free-ranging the flock is not an option, so their birds are confined to a chicken run most if not all the time. Chickens kept in coops with a run attached are easier to keep safe from predators. Chicken runs can be basic with wires strung across the top to discourage flying predators like hawks or they can be elaborate with a complete wire roof that is high enough for you to comfortably enter the run to clean.

So please share with us: How Is Your Run Covered?

Please place your vote above, and please elaborate in a reply below if you chose "Other".

View attachment 2762068

Further Reading:
Check out more exciting Official BYC Polls HERE!...
I have some heavy cotton cord that is tied from side to side across and front to back above my run, looks like a grid....it's not the prettiest way, but the cord was free :thumbsup

garden 2020 chicken run 25% image.jpg

In Summer 2020 we built a walk-in run that attached to the coop. Sides of run are hardware cloth and 1/3 roof is hardware cloth. We planned to add a solid roof portion eventually and purchased premium bird netting as a temporary cover for that portion. It has held up so well that we aren't in any hurry to install the solid cover section! We used premium bird netting 14'x14' from Gurneys.com and zip-tied it to the wooden rafters. It has held up thru snow and 70+mph winds. Local hawks and eagles don't bother it. The netting is a very impressive product, the pictures below show how well it has held up over the past year.
IMG_6130.JPG
IMG_5969.JPG

How much snow do you get?

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 2779157
North Georgia Mountains, snow accumulation is usually in Jan-Feb with heavier wet snow that just lasts a few days. I'll update the post to reflect that.

First stage, elevated coop with run attached, covered round with hardware cloth, chicken wire on the bottom, heavy duty barrier netting on roof covered with a tarp. Second stage, Large fenced in with 4' , 2"x4" mesh wire fencing. After seeing coyotes, hawks, and having the girls escape, we installed a 50' x 50', 2" sq. mesh aviary netting, attached with zip ties. We had to go around a few fruit trees, which is in their enclosure for shade. Not the prettiest, but works.

I finally got around to my run overhaul, came up short on WW fence. So not only is my run less secure than before, it is uncovered. Soon I'll make the trip to the good farm store (not far, just nothing else in the area for me) and get another 100'....might as well go ahead and really expand the run. Then I can work on covering.

Unsupervised run has welded wire fencing with 2x4 inch openings covering it top to 12 inches below ground with hardware cloth going around the bottom half. We also have a larger 'free range' pen area that doesn't have anything covering it because we generally supervise them when they are in that pen. We've had zero predator deaths since installing it. *knocks on wood*

Back
Top Bottom