Official BYC Poll: How Long Have You Been Raising Chickens?

How long have you been raising chickens?

• Under 6 months

Votes: 89 6.3%
  • 6 Months - 1 Year

Votes: 175 12.4%
  • 1 Year

Votes: 66 4.7%
  • 2 Years

Votes: 127 9.0%
  • 3 Years

Votes: 122 8.6%
  • 4 Years

Votes: 110 7.8%
  • 5 Years

Votes: 76 5.4%
  • 6 Years

Votes: 86 6.1%
  • 7 Years

Votes: 59 4.2%
  • 8 Years

Votes: 47 3.3%
  • 9 Years

Votes: 48 3.4%
  • 10 Years

Votes: 68 4.8%
  • 11 - 20 Years

Votes: 180 12.7%
  • 21 - 50 Years

Votes: 108 7.6%
  • 51 - 75 Years

Votes: 24 1.7%
  • 75 Years and over

Votes: 3 0.2%
  • No chickens yet, but hopefully soon!

Votes: 28 2.0%

• Total voters
Pics
It was my daughters fault. I grew up raising chickens. I wanted nothing to do with them in my adult life I already had a lot of stuff to keep up with. Grandkids, my own animals, husband, family, house and I was working. Then my daughter begged her Daddy...….you can guess what happened. Started out with 8 Australorps and then got a rooster from the neighbor. He got really mean after the bear broke into coop and snatched 2 of my hens. They never really go for the roosters. I wonder why that is? Toward the fall I was ordered a straight run of 10 of the different breeds I wanted (light Brahma and barred rocks). Now she is not interested in chickens or ducks or turkeys and I have a little over 70 chickens. Some advice....do not get silkies unless you want an explosion of baby peeps. I had one die when I tried to break her broodiness..I digress. I have had them 4 years going on 5 this spring and I want a pair of geese. Looking at the American Buff geese. I hear they make nice pets if you invest time and effort into them.

How many of our peeps are really new to raising chickens and how many are old-timers?

In addition to answering the poll, please reply with some fun details, like:

What got you interested in raising chickens?
Did you ever "take a break" and not have chickens?
What breeds did you start with, how many, and do you have any pictures to share?

I began raising chickens by saying " I don't want to raise chickens", More than 10 years ago when my boys were small and the neighbors got them.
Fast forward a bunch of chickens , a chicken free hiatus ,and years later, each of them stamped their little chicken feet on my heart. 🐣
My first pair, Helen (named) after my still living mother) and Daisy, a Black and Red Sex Link were my loyal clucking pals. When my mother Helen was broody , so to would chicken Helen be .They were free range and cooped at night. I can still see them chasing one an other through the yard, Helen, holding in her beak, a limp dearly departed bobbing lizard and Daisy close behind.
The greetings...oh the greetings , that sight alone ,of those fluffy butts and windmill legs, after a long workday.🐥
Everyone loved our chickens, their antics , the eggs, and the Facebook posts. One day I came home to a photo shoot in session of Helen sporting her new bling (a gold chain and backwards baseball cap . My cute little backyard chicken had an alter ego-"Gansgsta Chicken",
Sadly years later, Daisy was attacked by a hawk, , We got a New England Red, who despite her twisted beak, managed to thrive and delight us all. Much later at around 9 years old, Helen became egg bound and the difficult decision was made to euthanize her.
Bubbie, a barred rock was the last chicken we had before taking a break to have a garden .. Yeah right , let me correct that, a weed garden yielding a very short crop of beans and peas. Bubbie was just amazing ,so sweet and loving and again loved by all neighborhood kids, friends and family. She loved to be petted and would sit on your lap and nuzzle your neck.
Her untimely passing and the blame I placed on myself was the real reason I took a break.
I was cleaning the patio and passing in and out a doorway, moving items and re-organizing things, She , as usual , was right in the mix of things , eating the unearthed critters.
I picked up and moved a large folded canopy , moving it against the wall, and turned my back for a moment to access things.
I heard a huge thud and a quick muffled squawk. The canopy had fallen right on top of her. She thankfully died almost instantly. I was in shock and total disbelief of what had just occurred and the guilt caused me to take a break from this lovely, joyous , fulfilling and heartbreaking hobby.
Fast forward some 7 years, my kids now grown, filling my "slightly lonely mother heart" with an old familiar favorite....chickens! Armed with new insights, inspiration and ideas, not to mention BYC how did I get along without this sight before?
Hubby ( who btw is a trooper who lovingly goes along with all my hair brained ideas) and I wanted a large hen house a walk in type with plenty of open space and a nice covered coop. We made just that. Well he mostly, but I was one heck of a helper.
We originally got two pullets (or so we thought) Noodle - A white Brahma, and Dorothy RIR. Again thank you BYC- Noodle ended up being a cockerel, not just a big bossy(pecking) gal. Her (his) rapid growth ,nearly twice the size of Dorothy and over all temperament, were key indicators , but the kind folks who frequent and manage this site helped validate what I knew. Who knew some roosters crow at just weeks old , whereas others wait 6 months. The collective wisdom of BYC knows!
We were able to switch him out for a rescue hen at a local farm. We are not zoned for Roosters. We now have Lucy an adorable Wyandotte? or NE Red? I'm not sure(if anyone can weight in) , see pictures. That sweet gal came to us a layer.
I LOVE CHICKENS and will probably always have them. They are cheaper than therapy, some what easier and less expensive than dogs and children. The ROI is priceless and rewarding on so many levels! ❤

Attachments

• IMG_1626.jpg
    IMG_1626.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1768.jpg
    IMG_1768.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1668.jpg
    IMG_1668.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1445.JPG
    IMG_1445.JPG
    695.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0956.jpg
    IMG_0956.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 3
I began raising chickens by saying " I don't want to raise chickens", More than 10 years ago when my boys were small and the neighbors got them.
Fast forward a bunch of chickens , a chicken free hiatus ,and years later, each of them stamped their little chicken feet on my heart. 🐣
My first pair, Helen (named) after my still living mother) and Daisy, a Black and Red Sex Link were my loyal clucking pals. When my mother Helen was broody , so to would chicken Helen be .They were free range and cooped at night. I can still see them chasing one an other through the yard, Helen, holding in her beak, a limp dearly departed bobbing lizard and Daisy close behind.
The greetings...oh the greetings , that sight alone ,of those fluffy butts and windmill legs, after a long workday.🐥
Everyone loved our chickens, their antics , the eggs, and the Facebook posts. One day I came home to a photo shoot in session of Helen sporting her new bling (a gold chain and backwards baseball cap . My cute little backyard chicken had an alter ego-"Gansgsta Chicken",
Sadly years later, Daisy was attacked by a hawk, , We got a New England Red, who despite her twisted beak, managed to thrive and delight us all. Much later at around 9 years old, Helen became egg bound and the difficult decision was made to euthanize her.
Bubbie, a barred rock was the last chicken we had before taking a break to have a garden .. Yeah right , let me correct that, a weed garden yielding a very short crop of beans and peas. Bubbie was just amazing ,so sweet and loving and again loved by all neighborhood kids, friends and family. She loved to be petted and would sit on your lap and nuzzle your neck.
Her untimely passing and the blame I placed on myself was the real reason I took a break.
I was cleaning the patio and passing in and out a doorway, moving items and re-organizing things, She , as usual , was right in the mix of things , eating the unearthed critters.
I picked up and moved a large folded canopy , moving it against the wall, and turned my back for a moment to access things.
I heard a huge thud and a quick muffled squawk. The canopy had fallen right on top of her. She thankfully died almost instantly. I was in shock and total disbelief of what had just occurred and the guilt caused me to take a break from this lovely, joyous , fulfilling and heartbreaking hobby.
Fast forward some 7 years, my kids now grown, filling my "slightly lonely mother heart" with an old familiar favorite....chickens! Armed with new insights, inspiration and ideas, not to mention BYC how did I get along without this sight before?
Hubby ( who btw is a trooper who lovingly goes along with all my hair brained ideas) and I wanted a large hen house a walk in type with plenty of open space and a nice covered coop. We made just that. Well he mostly, but I was one heck of a helper.
We originally got two pullets (or so we thought) Noodle - A white Brahma, and Dorothy RIR. Again thank you BYC- Noodle ended up being a cockerel, not just a big bossy(pecking) gal. Her (his) rapid growth ,nearly twice the size of Dorothy and over all temperament, were key indicators , but the kind folks who frequent and manage this site helped validate what I knew. Who knew some roosters crow at just weeks old , whereas others wait 6 months. The collective wisdom of BYC knows!
We were able to switch him out for a rescue hen at a local farm. We are not zoned for Roosters. We now have Lucy an adorable Wyandotte? or NE Red? I'm not sure(if anyone can weight in) , see pictures. That sweet gal came to us a layer.
I LOVE CHICKENS and will probably always have them. They are cheaper than therapy, some what easier and less expensive than dogs and children. The ROI is priceless and rewarding on so many levels! ❤

Attachments

How many of our peeps are really new to raising chickens and how many are old-timers?

What breeds did you start with, how many, and do you have any pictures to share?
When I was a little girl my grandmother always had chickens and at three or four I would help her spread the feed. I would chase them and hang out with them. Now this was in Oakland, CA in the 50's. Which was and is a very urban setting. We lived across the street from Lake Merritt. She kept 12.

Fast forward to June 2019. I am retired and live in Payson, AZ. I always wanted some chickens but never did it until last summer. I started with 4 salmon Faverolles, 6 Polish, 2 wyandotte...all chicks. They just started laying eggs the second week in January. One day I opened the nesting box and VIOLA! Eggs. I was very excited. And the eggs are very good. I shared with the neighbors as they have contributed all their salad greens to my chickens well being!
Here's a few pictures of my girls. No roosters per town ordinance.
IMG_0306.jpg IMG_0305.jpg IMG_0118.jpg

2yrs ago started with 15 chickens for egg production....never having any experience. Now we raise meat birds and expanded our coop for hatching our very own showgirls,
IMG_20200128_190540_496.jpg
Screenshot_2019-10-20-09-55-29(1).png
sizzles and silkies. We bought 800 acers and needed somthing to do... Now we are hooked and even have our own group of friends that all we talk about is out chickens.. But we are the only one with an incubator, so we are kindda popular
20191127_142551.jpg

Our family has always had them, since I was born. I was raised on 15 acres, and butchering everything from cows to rabbits by the age of 14. Chickens were always fascinating to me, they have such funny personalities. Plus being one of the best feed/ space/ meat ratios. Our chickens were always free range, to lower feeding bills as much as possible, and raise nutrition levels, and quality of life of the animal.

As for taking a break from chickens, only when I was dumb enough to move to the inner city chasing the almighty $... I felt the loss intensely.

My grandparents had over 150 " mutts" that were a mix of Americauna, buff Orpington,barred rock, RIR, Jersey giant, red ranger, black Sussex, and others. our eggs were blue, Olive, Brown, and white.

My profile pic is of my later flock of Americaunas/ yard parrots they all compete for my lap or shoulder when I go outside. I've always wanted to add merans to the flock for the chocolate eggs. I love the wide range of shell colors.

Back
Top Bottom