Official BYC Poll: How Long Have You Been Raising Chickens?

How long have you been raising chickens?

• Under 6 months

Votes: 89 6.3%
  • 6 Months - 1 Year

Votes: 175 12.4%
  • 1 Year

Votes: 66 4.7%
  • 2 Years

Votes: 127 9.0%
  • 3 Years

Votes: 122 8.6%
  • 4 Years

Votes: 110 7.8%
  • 5 Years

Votes: 76 5.4%
  • 6 Years

Votes: 86 6.1%
  • 7 Years

Votes: 59 4.2%
  • 8 Years

Votes: 47 3.3%
  • 9 Years

Votes: 48 3.4%
  • 10 Years

Votes: 68 4.8%
  • 11 - 20 Years

Votes: 180 12.7%
  • 21 - 50 Years

Votes: 108 7.6%
  • 51 - 75 Years

Votes: 24 1.7%
  • 75 Years and over

Votes: 3 0.2%
  • No chickens yet, but hopefully soon!

Votes: 28 2.0%

• Total voters
My parents and grandparents both kept chickens for meat and eggs, so I had exposure to chickens into my teens. But I didn't start keeping any poultry till about 15 years ago when I started with quail. Of course this just opened the door to chickens.

DSCN0733.JPG

DSCN1415.JPG

DSCN1544.JPG

DSCN3000.JPG

5 years :celebrate a year less than I've been married

We got married and moved to the country and wanted to start doing country things 😁 The person that we rent from told us to start chickens because her mother had previously had chickens on this property.

We started off with a bunch of chickens from tractor supply and from a local farm. I ended up getting really sick so we had to re-home all of them, but once I was better we decided that we would start it again.

The flock that we have now we've almost had it for about 2 years! We have chickens ranging from 8 weeks old to almost 2 years old. We have two roosters and I think 14 pullets/hens.

We also have a few cockerels that we will be sending to freezer camp soon.

We also got ducks a few months ago and we are going to be getting turkeys for Thanksgiving 😁

Funny story actually...
I've helped various neighbors and family over the years, bird sitting and what not, but one day when I was a teen...a crazy rooster decided to attack me and that was it- scared to death of them after that!

Fast forward several years to my own kids wanting chicks and needing a little extra responsibility, I figured we'd give it a try. Fear melted quickly when I finally got to raise my own baby birds!! (No roos though!!) Has turned into my absolute favorite hobby!

Marking myself down as a newbie...little over a year with my own flock!

My parents and grandparents both kept chickens for meat and eggs, so I had exposure to chickens into my teens. But I didn't start keeping any poultry till about 15 years ago when I started with quail. Of course this just opened the door to chickens.

View attachment 2009741

View attachment 2009743

View attachment 2009744

View attachment 2009745
I love how your chickens are black or black and white 😍 so pretty looking in that pic with both colors together.

My flock looks like a Crayola box puked all over my lawn 😂 I have so many different colors.

Aug 1 2009 My dh an I brought home a Game hen and her 10 chicks that hatched at a retreat my dh worked at. Never thought about chickens but we have had ducks since 2004 and geese since 2007 so hey why not. I am hooked. ❤
I only have one rooster left from that first year and he has been the best! Still going strong!
IMG_0571.JPG
IMG_0529.JPG
IMG_0509.JPG

Back
Top Bottom