Official BYC Poll: How Old Is / Was Your Oldest Chicken?

How Old Is / Was Your Oldest Chicken?

• 0-3 years

Votes: 142 33.8%
  • 4-7 years

Votes: 136 32.4%
  • 8-11 years

Votes: 89 21.2%
  • 12-15 years

Votes: 42 10.0%
  • 16-19 years

Votes: 6 1.4%
  • 20 years and older

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • I don't keep chickens yet

Votes: 1 0.2%

• Total voters
Pics
I have a 10 year old buff Orpington named Buttercup (by my grand daughter). She is laying 2 or 3 eggs a week right now - sort of comes and goes with her. Normally I don't keep chickens over 2 1/2 or 3 years old but Buttercup has become the peace maker of the flock and surrogate momma for chicks being bullied. She's a cool old lady!
I have a buff orpington named Buttercup too!

My oldest girls are 2 Wyandotte/Partridge Rock mixes, one golden laced and the other buff laced in color. Last year when they were 15, after not having laid a single egg in more than 8 years they both decided quite stubbornly they were going to brood and nothing I could do would dissuade them. So of course I caved and gave them each six fertile eggs. And brood they did, successfully hatching out six chicks each. Being old and crotchety with a little arthritis and some balance issues, they sometimes had a hard time keeping up with their chicks and sometimes their patience seemed a little short but they did a great job as moms. The chicks very quickly learned to adapt to mom's disabilities and everyone did well. They definitely "weened" their chicks much, much earlier than my younger hens though. The most amazing thing happened after they kicked their kids to independence - they began laying again! I got one egg every day for about 8 days then they went back into retirement. They turned 16 on March 2 of this year and to celebrate they each laid an egg a day for 4 days..... at 16!!!!!

My oldest girls are 2 Wyandotte/Partridge Rock mixes, one golden laced and the other buff laced in color. Last year when they were 15, after not having laid a single egg in more than 8 years they both decided quite stubbornly they were going to brood and nothing I could do would dissuade them. So of course I caved and gave them each six fertile eggs. And brood they did, successfully hatching out six chicks each. Being old and crotchety with a little arthritis and some balance issues, they sometimes had a hard time keeping up with their chicks and sometimes their patience seemed a little short but they did a great job as moms. The chicks very quickly learned to adapt to mom's disabilities and everyone did well. They definitely "weened" their chicks much, much earlier than my younger hens though. The most amazing thing happened after they kicked their kids to independence - they began laying again! I got one egg every day for about 8 days then they went back into retirement. They turned 16 on March 2 of this year and to celebrate they each laid an egg a day for 4 days..... at 16!!!!!
Wow! That’s amazing!

My RIR Rooster Gus. He's 4 next week. Such a sweet boy, until his girls get messed with that's the time to get out of his area. He's in a look don't touch area with his very own hen, Copper. She's going to be 3yrs this week. Lost a few to hawk's.

Our eldest is Cotton Top. I don't know her exact age but have worked it out as follows:

She was purchased in 2011 as an adult laying hen
So we estimate 10 yrs (been with us) plus at least 2 yrs from previous home

She's always been top hen in the flock and even today will thoroughly discipline any young whippersnapper that doesn't give her the correct amount of respect hehe.

She is now retired, but amazingly enough laid her last egg only two yrs ago - so at the awesome old age of about 10 yrs old!

I don't know her breed but would be very keen to hear peoples thoughts. She's white with gold wash on her front and wings (but not back or tail). And she has a wee bit of a crest but not too prominent - so I wondered if she's a cross of somekind?. She's a medium sized bird.. similar in size to my Araucanas.

Here she is <3 <3
Cotton Top.jpg

My next eldest is Lacey - my Sebright hen.
She is 9 years old this year <3

She is second in command.. after Cotton Top and the two of them are besties. They NEVER get snippy with each other.. and Lacey will often shush people out of Cotton Tops way to save her the trouble <3 <3

Pictured here as part of the "Brat Pack" - Cotton Top at the back, Lacey in the middle right, Rusty front and centre, and Junior in the middle left.

Rusty & Project Group (2).jpg

Back
Top Bottom