Official BYC Poll: How Old Is / Was Your Oldest Chicken?

How Old Is / Was Your Oldest Chicken?

• 0-3 years

Votes: 142 33.8%
  • 4-7 years

Votes: 136 32.4%
  • 8-11 years

Votes: 89 21.2%
  • 12-15 years

Votes: 42 10.0%
  • 16-19 years

Votes: 6 1.4%
  • 20 years and older

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • I don't keep chickens yet

Votes: 1 0.2%

• Total voters
Currently 9 year old Ancona. Her sister died a couple months ago, had a tumor and passed away. She no longer lays eggs, however I have an 8 year old EE who still lays eggs consistently, 1-3 a week. The rest of my flock is between 3 and 5 years old.

I currently have two 8 year old hens a Delaware And an EE both still lay constantly 2-3 eggs a week
My oldest hen was bantam australorp she was 9 when she passed last summer

We are coming into winter and have had some fairly horrible windy/rainy/cold weather lately - so I brought my two elder ladies inside.

Cotton Top had a spa day yesterday - she was quite content to soak in the warm water and we spent an Aaaage drying her off because the poor doll has quills atm and we had to go gently with the dryer to avoid blowing the quills the wrong way.

20210521_144134.jpg

Rather than put her back in the garage cage, we commandeered one of the cats boxes complete with fluffy blanket. Cotton Top has found her new favorite napping place!. She sat with us (in her box) in the living room last night, a warm fire on, watched TV and our other elder (Kitty the Cat) smooched up to her from time to time. I left the two of them out there all night to enjoy the added warmth.

This morning, Cotton Top and her box are now relocated to my office where she can look out to see the farm goings on, and I've just brought her bestie Lacey in to be with her. When I visited the garage this morning Lacey was complaining about the loss of her friend overnight.

Sooo here we are - two geriatric chickens napping in my office and a geriatric cat also in my office, trying to convince me patting her is more important than work!

20210522_070320.jpg

Back
Top Bottom