Official BYC Poll: Is chicken keeping legal in your town?

Is chicken keeping legal in your town?

• Yes

Votes: 198 85.0%
  • No

Votes: 14 6.0%
  • I don't know

Votes: 10 4.3%
  • Other (elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 11 4.7%

• Total voters
We can have chickens, but for my zoning, I'm allowed 2. Really? What is the point in that? I would get no eggs at all in winter. Fortunately, I have good neighbors who don't care. I also live in Paradise where the Camp Fire ripped thru here about 3 years ago and destroyed most of the town, Lots of rebuilding going on and the code enforcement department has its hands full trying to get absent property owners to clear their lots of flammable vegetation so chickens are very low on their list of priorities. I have 15 and provide eggs to the neighbors. No roosters allowed, but I would not want them anyway.

I'm not actually in town but in the nearest city to me, you can have a limited amount of hens and no roosters. But many of the neighborhoods have specific laws against outdoor animals. Some people in the area (not me, I'm law free) get away with it by hiding most in their house when the inspector comes around or calling them "exotic fowl" :gig

he's a little bantam buff laced polish that I hatched in May! :)
I really lucked out, he's so sweet to the hens and pullets and my family (he's not so smart but it can be overlooked lol). here's some pics from another post i made if you want to see.
He is so so adorable!! Gives me hope that i might be able to keep a rooster. I can legally have one... but *I'm* the light sleeper 😆

Back
Top Bottom