Votes: 58 2.1%
  • Skunk

Votes: 26 0.9%
  • Rats

Votes: 56 2.0%
  • Cats

Votes: 52 1.9%

• Total voters
Foxes are very difficult to trap, and really, they are very useful in controlling other things, rodents, etc, that might get out of control. We've found that being persistent in making lots of noise, varying times when we go outside, banging pan lids, firecrackers, singing, yelling, honking horns, talk radio, etc, etc, anything to create a disturbance or a repellant at various times throughout the day which are normally quiet, will eventually discourage the fox from coming around. We have to do it for a period of weeks, and it's a pain, but it does work. Based on past experience, I have mapped on a calendar the times during the year when foxes are most likely to visit, and it is pretty regular, so we know when to start watching out for them. They don't terrorize the flock all year round...at least not so far.

Let me know how that works for you. I consider foxes our worst predator as they seem able to avoid all kinds of traps like the plague. Raccoons and possums are easy, but not a fox.
sad.png

I agree, you really have to know what you are doing to trap a fox. I have an experienced trapper that lives down the road and is eager for me to let him trap on my land. That may be an option if you can find an experienced trapper.

I will always hate weasels. Wiped out my four silkies about 8 months ago. I understand it just Mother Nature, but it would sit better with me if it only killed what it ate. Instead it completely devoured one of them and didn't so much as touch the other three except to kill them and line them up for me to find:mad::

I still don't know how it got into the coop I had, but suffice to say I dismantled it and am almost done building a better, stronger one. I'm not letting my chickens in it though until I post photos here and get the board's thoughts.

I will always hate weasels. Wiped out my four silkies about 8 months ago. I understand it just Mother Nature, but it would sit better with me if it only killed what it ate. Instead it completely devoured one of them and didn't so much as touch the other three except to kill them and line them up for me to find:mad::

I still don't know how it got into the coop I had, but suffice to say I dismantled it and am almost done building a better, stronger one. I'm not letting my chickens in it though until I post photos here and get the board's thoughts
Happened here too with a mink. We were lucky it did not get them all because ours can roost higher and they have more room to run. We hired a professional trapper and he has not been able to catch it. But we did find where it had been coming in. Same thing. Ate half of one of our birds. Took a couple others away somewhere. Stuffed one in a pallet for later. Left the rest lying untouched. Made me sick.
sad.png

Caught me a possum last night. Noticed a few days ago something bit my coop and bent a couple wires. I'm in the city limits so I called animal control instead of shooting it, and I don't want my neighbors seeing me hauling it away and think I was trapping their cats or something haha. Animal control took it away.

So far last year it was wild cats. This year it has been hawks. I have lost 3 full grown hens in one day to hawks. My hens are free range so if the rooster isn't doing his job the hawks swoop down and take the hens right out of the yards.

Not sure where abouts you are Yarbees but we also have hawks and bald eagles as well. I have a couple neighbors that let their chickens free range while they are outside with them. We also have neighborhood cats that seem to enjoy being caught in my Hav-a-hart cage. Obviously I'm not going to harm a cat so I just let them go. Our chicks go outside in 2 weeksish so I'm getting anxious about the predators. Fingers crossed!!

I was considering erecting and hooking up an electric fence charger for cattle around my coop and pen to combat possums and coons. We put electric fence around the sweet corn patch back in the day and I can say this worked with great success. Anyone else had luck with this method?

Back
Top Bottom