• Skunk

Votes: 26 0.9%
  • Rats

Votes: 56 2.0%
  • Cats

Votes: 52 1.9%

• Total voters
i just lost 2 of my 3 hens to my neighbors dog
the 1st died fast second one had a deep bite mark broken wing and leg had to put her down so sad ;(
i just reinforced the coop door and all is super safe now from the dogs who have been taken by animal control my hen that survived is doing good and she will have new friends this weekend from the same flock that we got her from.
I hate to see this! Someone allows their loving pet to come over to your house and terrorize and kill your birds, its disgusting. Did you let them know what their lovelies did?

For me definitely raccoons... smart little jerks. They learned how to open the shed to the coop.... But foxes have got my ducks. raccoons problems are easy to solve though...trap or .22

For us, right now, we have a fox apparently terrorizing our flock. We've lost a couple hens and wasn't sure what had happened, they would just disappear. However, yesterday the neighbor came and woke my husband up in the afternoon (he works night shift) to tell him that a fox had our big rooster. Apparently, Buddy had gotten out of the coop and fenced in area (got to find that hole before the fox does or clip his wings again) and had been in the yard, which typically isn't an issue, I let them out in the yard a lot of days while we are home and haven't had any problems during the day, ever. Anyway, husband gets out there and Buddy is in the neighbors yard, missing a few feathers as you can see them in the neighbor's yard (he is a lavender orpington so he's a fluffy boy) but other than that he seems to be ok. Got him back in the coop, no blood, etc. This morning he wasn't out of the coop when I went to feed. Wouldn't come out, doesn't want to eat. My guess is he is traumatized. I'm just not sure what to do to help him. We have checked him thoroughly and there are no visible injuries. He was very lucky, but he needs help to get over the trauma. Suggestions? And yes, we will be trapping the fox as it is too populated around us to do what I'd like to do). Thanks!

For us, right now, we have a fox apparently terrorizing our flock. We've lost a couple hens and wasn't sure what had happened, they would just disappear. However, yesterday the neighbor came and woke my husband up in the afternoon (he works night shift) to tell him that a fox had our big rooster. Apparently, Buddy had gotten out of the coop and fenced in area (got to find that hole before the fox does or clip his wings again) and had been in the yard, which typically isn't an issue, I let them out in the yard a lot of days while we are home and haven't had any problems during the day, ever. Anyway, husband gets out there and Buddy is in the neighbors yard, missing a few feathers as you can see them in the neighbor's yard (he is a lavender orpington so he's a fluffy boy) but other than that he seems to be ok. Got him back in the coop, no blood, etc. This morning he wasn't out of the coop when I went to feed. Wouldn't come out, doesn't want to eat. My guess is he is traumatized. I'm just not sure what to do to help him. We have checked him thoroughly and there are no visible injuries. He was very lucky, but he needs help to get over the trauma. Suggestions? And yes, we will be trapping the fox as it is too populated around us to do what I'd like to do). Thanks!

Let me know how that works for you. I consider foxes our worst predator as they seem able to avoid all kinds of traps like the plague. Raccoons and possums are easy, but not a fox.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom