Votes: 58 2.1%
  • Skunk

Votes: 26 0.9%
  • Rats

Votes: 56 2.0%
  • Cats

Votes: 52 1.9%

• Total voters
I just had a mama bear and babies mess with my coop. While mama bear couldn't get in the pop door I had left open the babies sure could. I for sure lost 2 birds to the bears. My rooster and a hen ended up by the road in my front yard. I was out by the coop cleaning up when another hen came out of the woods. I'm not sure if there are others still alive or not. I was out for 3 hours trying to call them home and nothing. I loath bears

I'm kind of new here at BYC and I was trying to guess which predator I lost the most chickens to and dogs were barely ahead of raccoons. I was not surprised to see the results of the survey where raccoons were the worst.
Coons depradations were my fault because it only happened when I forgot to close the coop at night if the chickens were out free ranging. I bet a coon could tear through poultry wire but they never bothered. They are more opportunistic dash and carry predators. They always preferred an open door.
Dogs can be determined and not know they are being bad. I have had stray dogs shred through heavy welded wire rabbit hutches. I have seen steel dog dishes chewed like they were tin foil from dogs.
I never witnessed except for the wisp of a tail over the fence but some of those coon depredations could have been a possom too.
I don't have dog problems anymore because I built a 6' tall fence with 2x4 wire horse fencing to keep out stray dogs and my own dogs patrol the inside.

I'm with you on that. I've lost more to raccoons than dogs though. But they are both bad. It is mostly about coop management as you've stated that you don't have those problems now. Unfortunately, we don't realize the issues many times until the attacks.

We've been hit by raccoons (got 4), hawks (1), weasel/mink (2), and a dog (1 hen, 1 duck). So yeah. In that order. As soon as I outsmart one predator here comes another. To top it all off, I haven't let my chickens free range in over a week because both my husband and I have seen a coyote running around in the timber/brush behind our house. Ugh.

One of my chickens was attacked a short while ago. I heard some commotion outside my window and my chickens were hollering up a storm.I checked on my chickens in the backyard .their coops were secured so I walk around to the front of the house looking out toward the driveway I see a oppossum dragging my old girl( she's my oldest hen).down the driveway! I ran toward them an the possum let go and I grabbed my girl..she is a little bloody.she's really spooked.I little blood I wrapped her in a warm blanket and put her in a kennel. Can chickens die of shock?

They can die of shock, keep her in a quiet, darkened , warm area/crate or pen. So hopefully she will come out of it. Don't try to feed or push fluids, if she is acting shocky -

Yes she can..keep,her warm put her with her flock when she starts to move about, fix her wounds so others won't pick at them..poor girl!

One of my chickens was attacked a short while ago. I heard some commotion outside my window and my chickens were hollering up a storm.I checked on my chickens in the backyard .their coops were secured so I walk around to the front of the house looking out toward the driveway I see a oppossum dragging my old girl( she's my oldest hen).down the driveway! I ran toward them an the possum let go and I grabbed my girl..she is a little bloody.she's really spooked.I little blood I wrapped her in a warm blanket and put her in a kennel. Can chickens die of shock?

Oh yes chickens are sensitive and you are very lucky to still have your chicken . So for right now she should be in a quiet room with food and water so you can keep an eye on her and she can stay calm and warm .

Have you checked your chicken coop for any unauthorized openings, if you do not get your coop sealed up from top to bottom you will just have a repeat attack from the wild animals in your neigh-hood . I don't know how you plan to take care of the wild life but there is trapping so you can relocate the chicken thief or what ever you local laws allow but the best bet is to always keep your coop sealed and protected as my experiences have showed me the chickens wont always make noise late at night and you just cant always be at home ..

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom