Official BYC Poll: What Breed Characteristics are Most Important to You?

What are your most important characteristics when choosing a breed?

• Temperament

Votes: 380 78.0%
  • Cold Hardiness

Votes: 190 39.0%
  • Heat Hardiness

Votes: 172 35.3%
  • Egg Production

Votes: 247 50.7%
  • Egg and Meat Production (dual purpose)

Votes: 81 16.6%
  • Egg Color

Votes: 159 32.6%
  • Egg Size

Votes: 89 18.3%
  • Meat Production

Votes: 11 2.3%
  • Aesthetics / Looks

Votes: 231 47.4%
  • Good Broodies

Votes: 80 16.4%
  • Lack of Broodiness

Votes: 57 11.7%
  • Pedigree

Votes: 18 3.7%
  • Showability

Votes: 46 9.4%
  • Heritage, Endangered, Rare

Votes: 106 21.8%
  • Size

Votes: 87 17.9%
  • Feed Consumption (cost to feed)

Votes: 51 10.5%
  • Purchase Price

Votes: 78 16.0%
  • Resistance to Diseases and Parasites (hardiness)

Votes: 194 39.8%
  • Other

Votes: 37 7.6%

• Total voters
But then it's too late....
I strongly dislike the taste of chicken ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I agree i would have to move..

What's going on all feels sort of apocalyptic. Hence I'm eating my chickens. There was no chicken in the store for about a month!
It really does feel that way, especially in some parts of the country. We don't have a shortage on eggs or chicken anymore but, I do imagine if I was in the position to do it, I wouldnt hesitate - especially to feed my family.

I chose temperament, heat hardy, and disease resistant.

I wanted a breed that was friendly enough to share the experience with my kids.

I live in central California where summers can be in the 100's and winters arent cold enough to snow. Having a chicken that can withstand the heat is a must!

Disease resistant because I am still new to raising chickens so I figured that was important.

Wow, only 2.5% are interested in raising their own meat chicken. Hmmm
You do have to take into account those that selected "Egg and Meat Production", like I did. I prefer less specialized birds, and I imagine many others that eat meat from their own flocks feel the same way.

I chose my silver laced Wyandottes because I thought they were gorgeous (that are) and I wasn't concerned about much else. Next time, my primary characteristic will be DOES NOT FLY. My whole run is netted because of one chicken, not hawks, and I can't let them free range because there are dogs in the surrounding yards that she would probably fly into .

I am raising Barred Hollands. I wanted them because they are supposed to be a dual-purpose white egg layer. Since mine are 6 weeks old, I will say that so far, they are much friendlier than other white egg layers even as chicks. They are a rare heritage breed, that deserves more attention. Supposed to be hardy in heat and cold, time will tell, Arizona heat is deadly. I like that they are easier to sex, roosters are very obvious at 4 weeks. I hope that they have some resistance to disease, that is a very important thing to me, with heat and cold stress, disease resistance is not optional! So far, they have all survived the Post Office shipping ordeal, so +1 on the hardiness scale!

Last edited:
I am raising Barred Hollands. I wanted them because they are supposed to be a dual-purpose white egg layer. Since mine ore 6 weeks old, I will say that so far, they are much friendlier than other white egg layers even as chicks. They are a rare heritage breed, that deserves more attention. Supposed to be hardy in heat and cold, time will tell, Arizona heat is deadly. I like that they are easier to sex, roosters are very obvious at 4 weeks. I hope that they have some resistance to disease, that is a very important thing to me, with heat and cold stress, disease resistance is not optional! So far, they have all survived the Post Office shipping ordeal, so +1 on the hardiness scale!
Where did you get them? Sounds like a worthy endeavor!

I choose mine mainly on hardiness we get crazy all over the place weather here in Northern Ohio so I need a flock that can adapt and that has a good temperament so my kids don't get hurt and enjoy the chickens we have 1 sassy rescued rooster but he is getting better the more we handle him

Attachments

• 20200805_164236.jpg
    20200805_164236.jpg
    628.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 20200702_151338.jpg
    20200702_151338.jpg
    341.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 20200702_150603.jpg
    20200702_150603.jpg
    347.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 20200528_100351.jpg
    20200528_100351.jpg
    462.6 KB · Views: 5
I choose mine mainly on hardiness we get crazy all over the place weather here in Northern Ohio so I need a flock that can adapt and that has a good temperament so my kids don't get hurt and enjoy the chickens we have 1 sassy rescued rooster but he is getting better the more we handle him
Adorable!

Back
Top Bottom