Official BYC Poll: What Do You Use Your Rooster/s For?

What Do You Use Your Rooster/s For?

• Breeding

Votes: 236 67.6%
  • Flock Protection

Votes: 252 72.2%
  • Showmanship

Votes: 37 10.6%
  • Harmony

Votes: 87 24.9%
  • Finding Treats for the Hens

Votes: 77 22.1%
  • As a Pet

Votes: 170 48.7%
  • For Exercise (by trying to catch them while they're roaming)

Votes: 19 5.4%
  • Alarm Clock

Votes: 47 13.5%
  • For Meat

Votes: 86 24.6%
  • Cheap Entertainment

Votes: 128 36.7%
  • Yard Ornaments

Votes: 128 36.7%
  • Other (please elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 26 7.4%

• Total voters
I keep as many as I do because I have multiple breeds (and backups are handy in case a certain neighbor's dog catches one 😑) and because I love the crow and looks. I don't keep mean ones though, cause nobody got time for that, and 2 of them really are great predator alarms. Wish a few others would be too, but I'll take what I can get

Is it weird I like to have them as an alarm clock? I don't mind the noise! There's just something about sitting on the porch listening to the roo crow on a warm summer morning while drinking your coffee to kick start your day.

I also love how he communicates with the neighbors roosters back and forth almost a quarter mile down the road.

I love the sound of a rooster.

At least, I love the sound of the ones who have good voices. There are roosters with annoying voices and I don't love those. :D

The neighbor has a rooster that sounds like a preteen boy going through his voice change that is cringy to listen to. 😂

I loved my in-town, Light Brahma rooster's deep crow. "The Red Boys" did that weird voice change thing but he didn't crow until a week after they were in the freezer so I never heard his voice change.

Unfortunately, I want better production traits in my (hopefully), sustainable flock so I'm not going to get another Brahma rooster.

(Not ruling out someday having a self-sustaining Brahma bantam broody flock, but that's far distant if it might happen at all).

The neighbor has a rooster that sounds like a preteen boy going through his voice change that is cringy to listen to. 😂
One of mine sounds like he’s being strangled. Still scares the daylights out of me every now and then. Luckily he doesn’t crow much being on the bottom of the pecking order. I do like listening to the other rooster though.

Paulie Walnuts was an accident, he was supposed to be a pullet. He can stay because he's sweet and doesn't try to kill us. Clever boy.
122011545_10223011055800823_2532812648906950241_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom