Official BYC Poll: What Do You Use Your Rooster/s For?

What Do You Use Your Rooster/s For?

• Breeding

Votes: 236 67.6%
  • Flock Protection

Votes: 252 72.2%
  • Showmanship

Votes: 37 10.6%
  • Harmony

Votes: 87 24.9%
  • Finding Treats for the Hens

Votes: 77 22.1%
  • As a Pet

Votes: 170 48.7%
  • For Exercise (by trying to catch them while they're roaming)

Votes: 19 5.4%
  • Alarm Clock

Votes: 47 13.5%
  • For Meat

Votes: 86 24.6%
  • Cheap Entertainment

Votes: 128 36.7%
  • Yard Ornaments

Votes: 128 36.7%
  • Other (please elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 26 7.4%

• Total voters
I keep as many as I do because I have multiple breeds (and backups are handy in case a certain neighbor's dog catches one šŸ˜‘) and because I love the crow and looks. I don't keep mean ones though, cause nobody got time for that, and 2 of them really are great predator alarms. Wish a few others would be too, but I'll take what I can get

Is it weird I like to have them as an alarm clock? I don't mind the noise! There's just something about sitting on the porch listening to the roo crow on a warm summer morning while drinking your coffee to kick start your day.

I also love how he communicates with the neighbors roosters back and forth almost a quarter mile down the road.

I love the sound of a rooster.

At least, I love the sound of the ones who have good voices. There are roosters with annoying voices and I don't love those. :D

The neighbor has a rooster that sounds like a preteen boy going through his voice change that is cringy to listen to. šŸ˜‚

I loved my in-town, Light Brahma rooster's deep crow. "The Red Boys" did that weird voice change thing but he didn't crow until a week after they were in the freezer so I never heard his voice change.

Unfortunately, I want better production traits in my (hopefully), sustainable flock so I'm not going to get another Brahma rooster.

(Not ruling out someday having a self-sustaining Brahma bantam broody flock, but that's far distant if it might happen at all).

The neighbor has a rooster that sounds like a preteen boy going through his voice change that is cringy to listen to. šŸ˜‚
One of mine sounds like heā€™s being strangled. Still scares the daylights out of me every now and then. Luckily he doesnā€™t crow much being on the bottom of the pecking order. I do like listening to the other rooster though.

Paulie Walnuts was an accident, he was supposed to be a pullet. He can stay because he's sweet and doesn't try to kill us. Clever boy.
122011545_10223011055800823_2532812648906950241_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom