Official BYC Poll: What Do You Use Your Rooster/s For?

What Do You Use Your Rooster/s For?

• Breeding

Votes: 236 67.6%
  • Flock Protection

Votes: 252 72.2%
  • Showmanship

Votes: 37 10.6%
  • Harmony

Votes: 87 24.9%
  • Finding Treats for the Hens

Votes: 77 22.1%
  • As a Pet

Votes: 170 48.7%
  • For Exercise (by trying to catch them while they're roaming)

Votes: 19 5.4%
  • Alarm Clock

Votes: 47 13.5%
  • For Meat

Votes: 86 24.6%
  • Cheap Entertainment

Votes: 128 36.7%
  • Yard Ornaments

Votes: 128 36.7%
  • Other (please elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 26 7.4%

• Total voters
This guy, Fernando, found his purpose with a couple of Cream Legbars pullets and is now a contributing member of the peripheral projects rooster squad. Second photo is Fernando with one of his CL ladies marveling at their first egg Though the color is washed out in the photo, she is laying a pretty greenish blue egg that I’m very happy with.
2F611542-2805-4825-9843-3B203D208ACD.jpeg

0D4BAD34-F482-41B7-8127-E42A59243EA1.jpeg

I have way more Roos than I ever thought I'd have, 11 of them, & I am attached to them all. They have names, come running if I call them & will die of old age Lol, they're my feathered family. I love how sweet 10 of them are always, the 1 can be sweet as long as he's on my lap being fussed over.
I love how they look out for their girls, calling them over for treats, often not even eating a single mealworm for themselves, that just melts my heart.
I love how they they let me scoop them up and hug them, or sit on my lap for pets.
I love how they call out warnings at the mere sight of a distant fox or hawk.
I love their awesome feathering, colors & proud strutting...yeah they all know how handsome they are.
I love how they pose for photos!
I love their personalities.
I love their crows, they each have a unique sound, most of mine have beautiful, deep mellow crows. Only 1 is a loudmouth...yes, the ornery one, my very 1st Roo, Rocky the Barred Rock, he & I have a funny relationship, if I'm not paying attention, he will try to spur my lower leg, I can catch & scoop him up before he does, but most times I just talk him out of it. He's too old to part with now.
I love all of my handsome boys!
View attachment 2530144View attachment 2530146View attachment 2530148View attachment 2530152View attachment 2530153View attachment 2530154View attachment 2530165View attachment 2530168View attachment 2530169View attachment 2530186View attachment 2530173
Beautiful roos!

My first born cockerel decided I was the competition and constantly attacked me, tried many solutions but in the end he dressed out at 2.6 kilo and was very tasty.
My batch of his 12 eggs produced 9 males so I quickly set to culling them when of a decent size.
I have 1 of his sons left and he is a very mild placid young male that tends to the ladies and procreates well.

My chickens are for self sufficiency and they provide me with eggs and meat as well as a lot of entertainment!

Now I need a new rooster to prevent any inbreeding.

There are a lot of different opinions on roosters. Some people hate them and think them the devil, some think that they're unintelligent, yet roosters can be really fun to be around and form an integral part of any flock. People keep them for a variety of reasons - do you?

What do you use your rooster/s for? Place your votes above (you may select more than one)

Feel free to share any other reasons you keep roosters in the comments section below.

View attachment 2527064

Further Reading:

Understanding Your Rooster
Common Rooster Myths
Methods For Dealing With Roosters

(Check out more exciting Official BYC Polls HERE!)
Never had a rooster. One of my chicks did turn out to be a rooster and it was a terrible experience. So a local farm took him and my neighbors were relieved.

My roos are mostly for watching/attacking predators and for the fertile eggs. They are also very pretty and I love to watch how they interact with the other hens and animals.

Initially Roos were to protect hens but this past covid year my Roos became my therapeutic best friends. There's something about a potentially aggressive "with spurs capable of inflicting harm" creature, that loves to be held, pet, and sit on your lap & enjoy being fussed over. There's just something so calming, peaceful & rewarding about hugging a rooster, who obviously enjoys your company as well. Years ago, before I ever had chickens in my life, I never would have imagined myself snuggling with roosters, but I have 11 of them, and I love them all dearly. Even the one meanie who if given the chance would spur me, yet knows the little game we play, I quickly scoop him up before he spurs me, and even he enjoys sitting on my lap being fussed over. Aren't they amazing? Love them so much!

Initially Roos were to protect hens but this past covid year my Roos became my therapeutic best friends. There's something about a potentially aggressive "with spurs capable of inflicting harm" creature, that loves to be held, pet, and sit on your lap & enjoy being fussed over. There's just something so calming, peaceful & rewarding about hugging a rooster, who obviously enjoys your company as well. Years ago, before I ever had chickens in my life, I never would have imagined myself snuggling with roosters, but I have 11 of them, and I love them all dearly. Even the one meanie who if given the chance would spur me, yet knows the little game we play, I quickly scoop him up before he spurs me, and even he enjoys sitting on my lap being fussed over. Aren't they amazing? Love them so much!
Chickens -- especially Cocks -- are not UN-intelligent. My rooster, named "Randy" for obvious reasons we do not mention on BYC, lets me pick him up for needed work. For example, he had found some hay bale string and it was tangled around his feet. He came up to me and let me untangle his feet. He does not like to be chased or grabbed, I show him respect and call him to me. I offer treats, and he eats out of my hand.

I keep roosters for just about everything; I have my flock roo, my pet roo, my show roo and my ornamental roo. Sometimes I have the exotic extra roo just to fill in the slot, lol. I like roosters, and have not yet had an aggressive one.
I also, feather brother! We have about 225 hens and 25 roosters. Roos free range 24 hours. Dog and mini-donkeys seem to keep varmints away! Those roosters will follow me around with cluck's (single) sounding from around me in a shotgun pattern. Then the fermented food (I serve up 7 gallons a day) and all is well.....

Back
Top Bottom