Official BYC Poll: What Heat Lamp Setup Do You Use?

What Heat Lamp Setup Do You Use?

• Red

Votes: 119 49.4%
  • Clear

Votes: 21 8.7%
  • Ceramic Emitter

Votes: 34 14.1%
  • 50 Watt

Votes: 6 2.5%
  • 60 Watt

Votes: 8 3.3%
  • 75 Watt

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • 100 Watt

Votes: 30 12.4%
  • 250 Watt

Votes: 50 20.7%
  • I don't use heat lamps

Votes: 73 30.3%
  • Other (please elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 32 13.3%

• Total voters
Oh also use a $10 dimmer cord on the ceramic heat emitter so I can adjust the temperature output. Also works on red heat lamps just make sure the wattage on your heat bulb doesn't exceed the wattage limit on the cord.

Also have a Zilla thermostat that turns the heat on/off to maintain the temp which is nice on chilly nights when the temperatures change in my small old house. I used to keep reptiles which is why I have that stuff.

1618788472732.png

1618788244829.png

I have a variety of set-ups based on age, type of birds, and ambient temperatures. I use an indoor brooder with an 80W ceramic bulb, I have a shed brooder with both heat plate and 250W red bulb capabilities. For winter, I have a heated shed attached to my sub aviary with a thermostat to start electric heater at temps below 50* and I have a cozy coop flat panel heater if I ever have a need for supplemental heat in a coop or hideaway.
Im very new to chickens, i have 4 chicks that are about 8 days old. I dont know how to measure the temp in the brooder, so i have a meat thermometer stuck halfway into the bedding. It says they are at about 90 degrees, but they seem to be panting at times. Im using a 250W red lamp, i have them in a plastic tote from walmart with woodshavings as bedding. I got my advice crom the guy who i bought the chicks from, who works at my local ACE. Am i baking my little chickies?!?!?!

Im very new to chickens, i have 4 chicks that are about 8 days old. I dont know how to measure the temp in the brooder, so i have a meat thermometer stuck halfway into the bedding. It says they are at about 90 degrees, but they seem to be panting at times. Im using a 250W red lamp, i have them in a plastic tote from walmart with woodshavings as bedding. I got my advice crom the guy who i bought the chicks from, who works at my local ACE. Am i baking my little chickies?!?!?!
It’s important to watch behavior vs just going by numbers. A proper brooder setup will have warm and cooler side for chicks to move to for comfort. I bought a multi pack of several thermometers from Amazon to spot check temps in multiple areas. If a 250 bulb is all you have currently, can you raise it up and put it to one end.

20210419_231607.jpg

This is how i have it set up now, i just turned the lamp off for pictures. I try to keep one side cooler than the other for that reason

I was very worried about mine but then I got a 50 gallon tote and they like it a lot better

Back
Top Bottom