Official BYC Poll: What Kind of Roost(s) Do You Have Installed?

What Kind of Roost(s) Do You Have Installed?

• PVC Pipe

Votes: 5 1.2%
  • Branch(es)

Votes: 154 36.6%
  • Wooden Dowel Rod

Votes: 36 8.6%
  • Processed Wood with Rounded Corners

Votes: 51 12.1%
  • 2x4" Construction wood wide edge up

Votes: 210 49.9%
  • 2x4" Construction wood narrow edge up

Votes: 70 16.6%
  • Pre-made Plastic Roost Bars

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • None

Votes: 6 1.4%
  • Other (please elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 55 13.1%

• Total voters
Pics
I used Lumber. I rounded the edges of using a sander, so the sharp edges would not cause any discomfort or injury for my birds. 60 Inches long. I have 6 chickens, (larger breeds). Rhode Islands, and a Buff Orpington. 10 inches for each bird. 2 1/2 inches on top that allows my chickens feet to be on top while comfortably allowing their tips of toes to rest on the curved bit. I picked this design because my birds body and feathers can cover their feet to stay warm in the winter months, and stay comfortable.

Lots of humans overlook the importance of roosts (aka perches), but chickens don't. The natural way for a chicken to sleep is by sitting on a roost. Nope, they don't like beds or the ground. Only hens with chicks, injured chickens, and sometimes silkies (if they can't reach the roost) will sleep on the ground. In the wild, a flock of chickens tries to get as high off the ground as they can at night, most often in the branches of a tree. They do this to help them stay safe from land predators. Moral: please provide your chickens roosts to sleep on!

What kind of roost(s) do you have installed?

Multiple answers are possible and please tell us if you did anything to prevent foot or mite problems /show us your roost with a picture down in the comments section.

View attachment 2544576

Here are some interesting reads:

If you are wondering what roost shapes other keepers of chickens use, check out this thread:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...osts-do-you-use-in-your-chicken-coop.1403365/

(Check out more Official BYC Polls HERE!)
Tree branches aprox 2 - 3 inches diameter.. On an incline plain like a travers.. need a couple more added.. Some say flat like 2x4.. Can't see it, but might try it.. Used to use my tractor, lawn mower and various paraphernalia when Free Ranging.. or should I say they did.. It was up by the house. Keep a broom handy, cause when you open the door, they come rushing in... Chicken

Thanks! They're not Buff Orpingtons though. They're Lemon Cuckoo Orpingtons (paler yellow) ;)
Wow! Interesting, I do not even know If my chicken ( Daisy ) Is a Buff Orp or not! She could be, She is not a golden buff color, and she is not the lightest pale yellow color. They are so similar! LOL She looks almost Identical to your Orpingtons!

Wow! Interesting, I do not even know If my chicken ( Daisy ) Is a Buff Orp or not! She could be, She is not a golden buff color, and she is not the lightest pale yellow color. They are so similar! LOL She looks almost Identical to your Orpingtons!
Where did you get her from? You could ask them. Mine were listed as Lemon Cuckoo by the breeder. Everybody seems to have Buffs, so I wanted to try something a little different :D The Lemons look lighter and more golden than the Buffs. My kids call them "the golden chickens".

Where did you get her from? You could ask them. Mine were listed as Lemon Cuckoo by the breeder. Everybody seems to have Buffs, so I wanted to try something a little different :D The Lemons look lighter and more golden than the Buffs. My kids call them "the golden chickens".
Mine were really supposed to be white leghorns! ( I know they are not ) I got her from Tractor Supply. Daisy does look golden. Every chicken I got from there turned out to be another breed than what I wanted. About a year ago I went to get Rhode Island chicks, they were ISA browns! :lau

:thumbsupI use 2x4 wide side up . Also cut wooden monkey bar from old play swing. Has rounded bars on it. they don’t sleep on it. They are chicks but are already using the 2x4 roosting bar.

Mine were really supposed to be white leghorns! ( I know they are not ) I got her from Tractor Supply. Daisy does look golden. Every chicken I got from there turned out to be another breed than what I wanted. About a year ago I went to get Rhode Island chicks, they were ISA browns! :lau
The Tractor Supply gamble :lol:

Back
Top Bottom