• Meat

Votes: 640 26.4%
  • Fertilizer

Votes: 924 38.1%
  • Bug Control

Votes: 1,018 42.0%
  • More interesting and/or easy than other animals

Votes: 642 26.5%
  • Other (please specify in reply comments)

Votes: 257 10.6%
  • Showing & Exhibition

Votes: 219 9.0%

• Total voters
I started because of my kids. They had tried hatching eggs when my son was in second grade, and only one hatched. I said I had hatched out ducks and had a pet chicken as a kid. My son asked if we could hatch eggs, and intially I said yes. After thinking about it, we decided to buy chicks. A year later we hatched our first incubator eggs, and a year after that had our first broody hatch eggs.

I like them for the eggs, for the connection between me and my food, for the education of the kids, because they are fun pets and because they make me laugh. They are very pretty to have in the yard too.

Well, truth be told, pets, but the excuse is eggs
big_smile.png
So I clicked on both of those
wink.png

I got these chickens (Cuckoo Marans) for meat and eggs last year, and much to my surprise, fell in love with them. I had no idea chickens had such personality and smarts.

We did raise the roosters in our run for meat, and I have to say I feel better eating a chicken that I know had a good life while he was here, and who was treated with respect and gentleness right up to the end. I also feel like less of a hypocrite eating chicken when I am willing to look it in the eye first.

But the hens I just adore. They really are pets. I've lost several to predators, and one to illness, and some of them I really miss. Fantine and Nana in particular were very fetching personalities.

Watching Fanny and Suzy brood and raise their own chicks this year has been a treat. And I'll never eat a store bought egg again, that's for sure.

Plus our dogs have have NO TICKS this year, nor have I had a single tomato hornworm in my organic garden. These little gals really earn their keep.

Here's to Fanny, Satine, Griselde, Suzy, Xaviera, Pascaline, Oona, Chablis, and Wanda ... and St. Nick, the rooster. (The new little roos in the flock we circumspectly refer to as Lunch, Dinner and Supper).

We live in a primarily hispanic neighborhood. Most of our neighbors have chickens and lots of Roosters. I LOVE hearing them! We had to leave our home in the mtns due to my husband and Mom requiring lots of trips to the dr. Sooooo I figured if I had to live in "Rome" I would become a Roman.
wee.gif
MUCH to my surprise WE are addicted!
bow.gif
Our flock of 7 are family members. Each has it's own personality, SUPER friendly AND perhaps one day soon we'll get eggs. So far we've been given lots of fertilizer...
clap.gif

We got them because my girlfriend wanted them for eggs and for fun. After raising them, staying up all night feeding the sick ones with an eyedropper, watching little chicks turn into (little) chickens, I love them as much as any dog or cat. For me, they're pets...the eggs are just a bonus.

I really wanted a pet and could not have anything with fur or feathers in the house.

I had never lived on a farm or had chickens, but it just seemed like something that would fit with my mini-orchard.

I knew nothing....but found others in my community who had chickens.

I did my homework, visited at least three other owners, and went to work.

I can't imagine my life without them. They are cute, funny, sweet and add so much to my life.

They are my pets and my therapy. I care for them dearly.

My main motivation was to create designer eggs that would 1) help a family member have a non-soy based protein source (most commercial hens are fed soy-based feed) and 2) allow us to know where our food was coming from, the quality of the chickens' lives and diet.

Enjoying them as pets has been a great bonus!

Well I checked ALL the choices....I know probably not the right way to do it, but they all fit...
I live on a 45+ acre farm and have a wide variety of animals, and chickens are just a natural choice. We also butcher our own meat, I use the eggs, the girls show the chickens in 4-H (and soon FFA), they are pets, they help control bugs, and the fertilizer gets used...
Our kids know exactly where all our food comes from (grocery stores make very very very little on use year round). We are by no means organic, but as close to natural as you can get without going organic. (if that makes any sense).

Back
Top Bottom