Official BYC Poll: Why Do You Have Chickens?

Why do you raise chickens?

• Pets

Votes: 804 77.3%
  • Eggs

Votes: 922 88.7%
  • Meat

Votes: 205 19.7%
  • Fertilizer

Votes: 314 30.2%
  • Pest Control

Votes: 292 28.1%
  • Exhibition

Votes: 79 7.6%
  • For Resale

Votes: 98 9.4%
  • Other (please elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 109 10.5%

• Total voters
The eggs are nice, but really, I ended up obtaining them because it would be something to fuss over, to distract me from my diabetes. The condition was a pain to get used to, but the chickens -- and, more than anything, my family -- helped a lot, I think.
The guineas came next... I can't stand ticks, and guineas are just cool.
It started with six ISA Browns... now, about four years later, I have 18 chickens and three guineas. And I still want more!

At first, I fooled myself into thinking that I got three chickens to help control the out-of -control tic tuition in my area. From day one, the soft sounds coming from these three chickens made me an ardent fan. My husband of course thinks that I’m just a little bit off my rocker, but he just doesn’t understand the intricate relationship between a woman and her chickens. My two hens we’re given guinea hen eggs to hatch, and sweeter moms could not be found. They would pass the eggs back-and-forth to each other, and if one had more eggs than the other, she’d just reach under her sister and roll an egg or two to put under herself. What a world of entertainment these girls are! And how sweet and loving and family oriented, also. One morning two weeks ago I heard the soft singing of one of my hens in the coop, at a time when everyone was normally out in their pen. I looked in the door to see one of my mother hens singing softly to her guinea baby from last year, as she laid her first egg. It was like watching a birth coach, keeping her little girl safe. Don’t try to tell me that these are “just birds“ each one of them has a personality and each one of them has a soul that enriches mine.

Yep if it moves they definitely eat it!
I love that about them! Some of mine are so funny! They follow anybody with a shove around and gulp up the worms and grubs as you’re digging 😂🤣

It started out with just one or two of them and now they’ve mostly all learned LOL

Back
Top Bottom