Official BYC Poll: Why Do You Have Chickens?

Why do you raise chickens?

• Pets

Votes: 804 77.3%
  • Eggs

Votes: 922 88.7%
  • Meat

Votes: 205 19.7%
  • Fertilizer

Votes: 314 30.2%
  • Pest Control

Votes: 292 28.1%
  • Exhibition

Votes: 79 7.6%
  • For Resale

Votes: 98 9.4%
  • Other (please elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 109 10.5%

• Total voters
I checked eggs, but that alone is not the whole reason.
I love farm fresh eggs, and i sell some.
Chickens are great entertainment.
I enjoy chicks and broody moms raising chicks.
I love my rooster crowing, and how he cares for his flock of girls.
My farm would be to quiet and lonely without them.
I wonder how many back yard chicken owners actually pay all their costs and make a
Profit selling there chicken eggs? I would guess little to none.

Yep if it moves they definitely eat it!
I love that about them! Some of mine are so funny! They follow anybody with a shove around and gulp up the worms and grubs as you’re digging 😂🤣

It started out with just one or two of them and now they’ve mostly all learned LOL

I love that about them! Some of mine are so funny! They follow anybody with a shove around and gulp up the worms and grubs as you’re digging 😂🤣

It started out with just one or two of them and now they’ve mostly all learned LOL
I've started planting passion flower vs milkweeds though as I don't know how well they would tolerate the toxins from Monarchs/Queens/Soldier butterfly larva. I just know my chicken would be off to the races with those larvae.

I've started planting passion flower vs milkweeds though as I don't know how well they would tolerate the toxins from Monarchs/Queens/Soldier butterfly larva.
I never even thought about that! :oops:

I don’t think we have many butterflies here but :confused:

I mostly just occasionally turn the dirt in their run over or the garden or whatever.

Back
Top Bottom