Ended Official BYC Valentine Puns Contest Series - Egg Me On Recipe Contest

Entry #2

Breakfast Pastry Cups (my own recipe)

2 pkgs crescent rolls or crescent roll dough
6 eggs, beaten
1/2 lb (~227 g) bacon or sausage, cooked and crumbled
8 oz (~227g) cheese, shredded (I usually use either cheddar or pepperjack)
Salt and Pepper
Sliced green onion (optional)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (~190 degrees C)

Step #1 - Line a 12 cup muffin pan with cups (I use the silicone ones, if your pan is silicone you don't need to do this). Put two crescent roll triangles in each cup, so that the short side is in the bottom of the cup and the long side goes over the lip of the cup. Gently press the bottom to seal. If using crescent roll dough sheets, cut out 24 circles with 2-1/2 in cutter. Place a circle in each cup, gently pressing them down. Some dough should hang over the lip. If it doesn't, gently stretch out the circle with your hands. You'll need the remaining 12 dough circles later.

Step #2 - Spoon an equal amount of bacon or sausage in each cup (I generally do a tablespoon or two). Sprinkle with cheese to top of cup (DO NOT PRESS IT DOWN). Season eggs with salt and pepper to taste. If using bacon, go light on the salt. Pour eggs over meat and cheese mixture, just until each cup is almost filled.

Step #3 - Lift the long edges of the dough over each cup, cross the two pieces and lay the pointed ends on the top so that together they form a cross-like shape. If using dough sheets, take your remaining circles and top each cup, pressing the edges carefully to make a seal (press too hard on a metal pan and they'll stick)

Step #4 - Bake 13-15 minutes, or until eggs are set and pastry is golden brown. Garnish with green onion by sprinkling it over pastry cups before serving, if desired.

Use this recipe at your own risk. I've never typed it out/written it down before, so this is all from memory. If your crescent dough lists a different oven temp, for instance, you might just want to go with that.

BREAKFAST BURRITOS!
I started making these after I got tired of buying overpriced breakfast burritos in my neighborhood, and now these are our favorite breakfast!
serves 2 portions.

Ingredients:
2 tortillas
1 cup cooked beans (this is my favorite bean recipe: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/yummy-refried-beans.76304/ )
4 slices of cheese
4 cooked scrambled eggs seasoned with salt and pepper.

1. Add a thin layer of cooked beans (1/2 cup) in the middle of each tortilla. I like to add a little mayo to the tortillas before adding the beans.
View attachment 2520704
2. Add 2 slices of cheese to each tortilla.
View attachment 2520707
3. Add the scrambled eggs on top of the cheese.
View attachment 2520710
4. Fold the burritos sides first and then tops, then place them in a pan folding side down so it seals the burritos, over medium heat:
View attachment 2520717
5. Flip the burritos and cook until brown.
View attachment 2520718
Enjoy! you can add some hot sauce, green sauce etc. or just by it self!
View attachment 2520720
Fabulous photos are making me 🤤!

Bread and Butter Pickled Eggs
* 9-10 hard boiled eggs, peeled
* 2 cups white vinegar
* 1/2 small onion, sliced
* 3-4 garlic cloves
* 2 Tbsp. salt
* 1/2 cup sugar
* 1 tsp mustard seeds
* 1 tsp celery seed
* 1 tsp ground tumeric

1. Place peeled, hard-boiled eggs into a quart wide mouth mason jar.
2. Place vinegar into a small saucepan and add sugar and salt. Gently heat until
dissolved, then remove from heat.
3. Add spices, onion and garlic into the jar.
4. Pour the hot brine over the eggs and spices, leaving as little headspace as
possible (around 1/4 inch).
5. Seal jars with lids and allow them to cool slightly before storing them in the
refrigerator.
6. Allow the eggs to pickle for at least 24 hours before eating, preferably around
1-2 weeks for better flavor.
7. Pickled eggs should last 3-4 months in the refrigerator.

I like to save my serama eggs for pickling, more per jar!

Attachments

• 679F363E-26EC-4815-903E-34BF1BAE35FE.jpeg
    679F363E-26EC-4815-903E-34BF1BAE35FE.jpeg
    525.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
* 2 cups white vinegar
* 3-4 garlic cloves
* 2 Tbsp. salt
* 1/2 cup sugar
* 1 tsp mustard seeds
* 1 tsp celery seed
* 1 tsp ground tumeric

2. Place vinegar into a small saucepan and add sugar and salt. Gently heat until
5. Seal jars with lids and allow them to cool slightly before storing them in the
refrigerator.
6. Allow the eggs to pickle for at least 24 hours before eating, preferably around

* 2 cups white vinegar
* 3-4 garlic cloves
* 2 Tbsp. salt
* 1/2 cup sugar
* 1 tsp mustard seeds
* 1 tsp celery seed
* 1 tsp ground tumeric

refrigerator.

I just may have to get some local quail eggs to make these. If not quails🤪 Hubby would ,hmmmm, not sure.

Entry #1
View attachment 2513808

Flan Recipe

6 eggs
12oz can sweetened condensed milk (lechera)
2 - 12oz cans of evaporated milk
1/2 cup of sugar *optional
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 to 3/8 cup of sugar

Heat oven to 350 degrees.

Pour 1/4 to 3/8 cup of sugar into a warm pan over medium heat. Stir occasionally until it turns brown and into caramel. Don’t let it burn or it will have a burnt taste.

Once it has turned into caramel, immediately add to the flanera or circle cake pan and carefully cover the entire bottom of the pan. Set aside.

Whisk eggs in a large bowl.

Add in the 12 oz can of sweetened condensed milk (lechera) and two 12 oz cans of evaporated milk. Mix together.

Add 1/2 cup of sugar and 1 tsp of vanilla extract. Blend until smooth. *the 1/2 cup of sugar is optional depending on how rich you want the flan.

Pour mixture unto the flanera or cake pan.

Get a deep square pan that will hold the flanera or cake pan. Place the flanera or cake pan inside the square pan and fill the pan with hot water up to 2 inches.

If you don’t have a flanera and will be using a circle cake pan, cover it well with foil.

Depending on the size of the flanera / cake pan it may take 45 mins to an hour and a half. Check at 45 mins, then 60 mins then in 5 to 10 min increments after that.

To check run a knife down the center and it should come out clean and the texture should be like jello.

Once it’s done, let it cool for an hour. Then place it in the refrigerator (covered) overnight or for a minimum of 1 hour.

Get a large plate with rounded edges to keep the caramel from dripping everywhere and place on top of flanera and flip it. With a little tapping it should come out if it didn’t get overcooked, which causes the edges to stick.

Serve & enjoy

side note: depending on how small the cake pan or flanera is, the mixture will be too much, so either make some mini flans with the leftover amount or cut the recipe in half.
Ohhhh, this looks luscious! I've never seen a pan like that. What is it called?

Entry #1 "Copycat Cracker Barrel Pancake Recipe" - courtesy eatthis.com

(I am including the recipe below, and even though it is not my own, it does call for eggs. I double the recipe usually for a big breakfast, sometimes adding chocolate chips to the mix. Once I made this recipe, no more storebought mix for us!)

MAKES 5 SERVINGS

INGREDIENTS

1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk
1 egg
2 tablespoons butter, melted
Extra butter, for the griddle
Pure maple syrup

HOW TO MAKE IT

1. Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl together. I recommend using an electric mixer if you have one (I love my KitchenAid!)
  2. In a smaller bowl, whisk an egg. Add in the buttermilk and the melted butter.
  3. Mix in buttermilk egg mixture with dry ingredients until the batter is smooth
  4. Run a stick of butter over a warmed griddle (or a large, flat frying pan.) Be careful, you don't want it too hot! This will scorch the pancakes…and your hands.
  5. For larger pancakes similar to Cracker Barrel's, pour on a 1/2 cup batter for each pancake (makes about 5)
  6. For smaller pancakes, pour on a 1/4 cup batter for each pancake (makes about 10)
  7. Serve with maple syrup and butter.

@casportpony

Ingredients​

• 10 eggs
  • 8 slices bacon
  • ½ medium onion chopped
  • ½ medium green pepper chopped
  • 2 oz spinach finely chopped
  • ½ cup heavy whipping cream
  • 1 ¾ cups cheddar cheese
  • ¼ cup Monterey jack cheese
  • 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • dash of nutmeg
  • ½ tsp parsley for garnishing
  • ½ tsp red pepper flakes optional*

Instructions​

• Preheat the oven to 375° F.
  • Slice bacon into bite-sized pieces, then fry in a skillet until golden brown. Set aside to drain fat.
  • Reserve 1 tbsp of the bacon grease and saute the onion and green peppers over medium heat until they are soft. Set aside to drain on a paper towel.
  • In a medium-sized bowl, crack 10 eggs, then add heavy whipping cream, Worcestershire sauce, pepper, salt, and a dash of nutmeg. With a whisk, beat the eggs until the ingredients are thoroughly combined.
  • Combine the green peppers, onion, chopped spinach, and ¾ of the crumbled bacon in another bowl and distribute the filling amongst the muffin tins.
  • Add the Monterey jack cheese to each cup, followed by the cheddar.
  • Distribute the egg mixture evenly amongst each muffin tin.
  • Top each cup with your reserved bacon. Then sprinkle parsley and red pepper flakes on top. *Optional
  • Bake for approx 18-22 minutes or just until a knife comes out mostly clean. Make sure not to burn. I take them out before they turn brown. If you like them, "wet" undercook them a few minutes.
  • They will puff up with steam as they bake but sink a bit when you take them out of the oven. That's normal!

Notes​

**My oven in the new house bakes hotly. They baked in 18 minutes but, your oven may take a few minutes longer, so that is why I gave a larger range.

Egg cup filling variations​

These egg cups are easily customizable, so feel free to change the filling as needed. Here are some other ingredients you can add to your egg bites:

• thinly sliced mushrooms
  • small broccoli florets
  • other meats like ham, sausage or pork roll
  • other cheese like gruyere, mozzarella, feta or gouda
  • caramelized onions
  • fresh herbs such as chives, thyme or parsley
  • sriracha sauce, cayenne pepper or jalapenos for some heat
How to store keto egg cups:

Store in a sealed container in the fridge for 5-7 days. Reheat in the microwave for 15-30 seconds.

How to make these in advance and freeze:

If you want to meal prep and make your egg cups in large batches, make sure your egg muffins fully cool first. Then wrap them individually in plastic wrap before placing them in a freezer bag or container. They should last for about 6 weeks. Defrost before reheating!
Thanks! DH wants to make these!

Back
Top Bottom