Ended Official BYC Valentine Puns Contest Series - Wattle I Do Without You? Photo Contest

Entry 2

Daisy Is the best.jpg

This was my boy Daisy. He was the sweetest most handsomest guy ever. He was bottom of the pecking order so really had a soft spot in my heart. I got him from a local breeder. He's a Blue Wheaten Ameraucana.

This is Darlene the EE pullet! When she was just a chick she and her sister (Jolene) would always jump out the brooder to greet me while the other chicks would barely notice me. When the chicks moved out to the brooder pen Darlene and Jolene would always jump on my lap, head, back, or shoulder. Unfortunately, one day I went outside to see that the chicks had dumped their water over and poor Darlene was soaked to the bone. I took her inside and put her under a heat lamp. I had to force electrolytes into her and encourage her to eat wet food. She survived! Now she follows me around like a dog when I'm not holding her and I have to be careful not to let her dash into the house!
IMG_20201203_111208974.jpg

Last edited:
Entry #1
This is my beautiful little leghorn Gypsy ( she is a little gypsy wanders all over the place and gets lost)
CFF320FB-1DB3-4A0A-915B-1F18EEB15E4C.jpeg

She never looks this sane. I wonder what cameover her. Every other photo I have of her she is looking straight at the camera looking like a mad chicken. I love her no matter how craycray she is. She lays my second biggest eggs!

Last edited:
Entry 3

This is Ms. Frizzle. She was severely bullied at her old place because of her size. Her size doesn't stop her anymore. She's the toughest chicken in the flock. I got her when she was about 11 weeks old. She's super sweet and was the best friend to my Poshy before she passed, without Frizzle, Poshy wouldn't have gotten to where she did. Frizzle changed Poshy's life for the better. She's a bantam frizzle, not sure on breed.

IMG_1538.jpeg

P1040406.JPG
MY HOBBY.

Yes, that's her name! Short for Hobnob, and she's my hobby after all!

I became Hobby's best friend after her friend died suddenly. She followed me everywhere and needed lots of cuddles.

Hobby makes me happy almost every day with her tiny warm eggs (Though not that happy when she pecks and growls as I try to collect them :rolleyes: ) that are so cute and tasty!

Even after I got her a new boyfriend, Hobby still loves me.
Though she's supposed to stay in her enclosure, I often find her following me around the house!

Thank you BYC for inspiring me to get Seramas and bringing Hobby into my life.

Entry #1!

This is Joy, my 3 year old Speckled Sussex from Cackle Hatchery. Joy has sparked my love for chickens ever since I first saw her. Through her years, she has shown me so much. She may only be a chicken, but she taught me that every life is worth living. This chicken has done a plethora of amazing things. From warning me when there was a predator attack, and saving the lives of 3 other hens, to pushing through EYP even when it was said to be impossible. She’s got a sense of humor too. Or atleast a chicken version of one. This girl loves people, and once tried to fly over the pool (She was not successful!) She’s the greatest chicken I’ve ever known, and she’s a hero, but a best friend. :love
CA6E1FDC-AE4B-4907-9469-DF570E870827.jpeg

(Longer Description)
Joy was one of my 4 first chickens, and sparked my love for them the moment I first saw her. She was raised with three other chickens, and two ducks. She has lived through so many things that seem impossible, and her survival has earned her the title of “immortal” (of course I know that’s not true, but I like to say it!) Though everything she survived was an accomplishment, I will only highlight the two of them that made a major impact on both of our lives. The first one included me losing most of my chickens at once. It was a really hard day for us all. My camera to the coop was mysteriously knocked down 5 minutes before the “attack” and I had no idea it happened..... that is until Joy came to my porch and wouldn’t leave until I followed her back! She knew I could help and she wouldn’t leave my porch until I did. She’s the reason that Bubbles, Jokgu, and Pebbles (And herself) did not become the victims of another predator attack.

The second Major survival story of Joy’s was her EYP experience this summer. I found Joy with the symptoms of an eggbound hen, but with egg yolk around her, stuck to her feathers, and an egg shell hanging from hervent. I cleaned her up, called around and found an avian vet after 2 hours of searching. When I took her, the vet didn’t believe how much personality she had. She told me Joy was the sweetest chicken she had ever known, and that’s saying a lot considering she’s been a chicken keeper her whole life. Joy was given medication and I helped her regain her strength. On the day the vet told me to decide weather or not we would keep Joy fighting, she caught a frog outside. I knew she was a fighter and I knew that she would make it through. I’m glad I made that decision to, because she did make it through and I’ve become even closer to her since then.

She has also done a number of funny things. Recently, I put grass seed down by the pool. It was muddy and so I put down straw with the seed. The chickens immediately discovered it and thought it was the greatest thing. Every time I let them out, it was a race to see who would get there first. Because the seed was on the opposite side of the pool from the coop, the girls had to go around. Joy decided this was unnecessary and came up with her own route. Which way did she decide to take? Over the pool of course. Unfortunately, this plump hen only made it about 4 feet before her helicopter wings dropped her smack in the middle of the pool. This did not faze her though, and as if part of the plan, she swam (or more like thrashed) to the pools edge, climbed out and began to scratch around with the rest. 😂

Other funny things she’s done include, getting stuck in my cousin’s car... (and they drove off with her! Not very far but it was funny!) She also has a bad habit of stealing food... this includes pizza, crackers, toast (out of my mouth!) and even icecream. (I try to take food from her because I know she shouldn’t have it, but she’s sneaky!)

Joy is the greatest thing that ever happened to me, and without her I don’t know were I’d be :love

there now you know her life story
:th🤣

Last edited:
This is Darlene the EE pullet! When she was just a chick she and her sister (Jolene) would always jump out the brooder to greet me while the other chicks would barely notice me. When the chicks moved out to the brooder pen Darlene and Jolene would always jump on my lap, head, back, or shoulder. Unfortunately, one day I went outside to see that the chicks had dumped their water over and poor Darlene was soaked to the bone. I took her inside and put her under a heat lamp. I had to force electrolytes into her and encourage her to eat wet food. She survived! Now she follows me around like a dog when I'm not holding her and I have to be careful not to let her dash into the house!
*Forgets to attach pic*

Back
Top Bottom