Ended Official BYC Valentine Puns Contest Series - Wattle I Do Without You? Photo Contest

Pics
I’m sorry you lost her she sounded like a great bird. :( The same thing happened to Joy this summer and it was pretty tough. She recovered well though and I’m very grateful for all the help I got on BYC.
I'm sorry you lost her :hugs
Thank you, she was great. The sweetest!

This is Moonshine, the silver Sebright, age 4---my very favorite chicken in the whole world. She is intelligent, friendly, outspoken, feisty....
She will let me dress her in costumes, fly to my arm on command, and come when called, but best of all, she's a compulsive broody and a doting mama. She has hatched 3 batches of full sized chicks who rapidly outgrew her.
selfie w Moonshine.jpg

Entry #2
This is Sunshine! Or sunny for short. Her whole life years before I joined, she got beat up and over mated by our rooster. I would always chase him off of her, because he was such a jerk. He mated her way to much, and had I know chicken saddles existed at the time, I would have had her wearing one. Anyway, If I came running because Sam, the rooster was chasing her, she would come running to me for help! Lol! I could never pick up her up easily, but if I got close enough, she would stop and squat down to let me grab her. She has to be 5-6 years old today, and has survived many perished flocks. These days she lives with the ducks and a few other hens to stay away from Sam, and just sits on her perch most days. She'll come down to free range and eat, but she is content minding her own business on her perch! I love her, she is a sweetie!
IMG_5969.jpg

DSCN5640.JPG

Sister Sue. Purchased from Cackle Hatchery nearly 12 years ago, this Jersey Giant is my constant companion as soon as I enter the coop. She's taught me to value senior chickens and how to respect the needs of aged poultry.

Entry #3
37000D52-A3D7-4294-8E22-A49E3099250F.jpeg

Last but deffintly not least, Is Olive the Silkie chicken. She was part of our first batch of chicks that we got from a person in our town. Unfortunately out of the 5 other birds in the group 4 were roosters. We got rid of them and Olive, and her sister lived happily in the coop for 2 weeks until the baby chick tornado hit. Olive and her sister Zippy have managed to maintain their spots at the top of the pecking order due to them being the oldest and therefore the “wisest” chickens in the flock. I am not sure if she is broody or not, she acts like a broody hen, yet I think she is still laying eggs. Its a mystery! Hopefully I can have her brood new chicks in the spring.

This is Margarita, my 2nd favorite chicken in the whole world. I hatched her in the incubator last Cinco de Mayo. She's an Appenzeller Spitzhauben, but not a very good example of one. Her way too poofy crest is lopsided, goes back instead of forward and it also obscures her vision. All this makes her even more endearing to me. She's quirky and friendly. She likes to be held and follows me around begging for treats like a whining puppy. For the BYC Halloween contest last year, she dressed up as Cruella DeVille. She'll pretty much let me do anything to her, in exchange for sunflower seeds...
1-18 Margarita.jpg

Entry #1
Meet Rhaega, my four year old Red Sex Link who is named after a dragon in Game of Thrones. I got Rhaega from a fellow chicken keeper who did not want her to be alone. (All her flock mates died.) She arrived in mid October last year, just a day before I got her new flock--four pullets!

From the start, Rhaega took the lead with pullets, who immediately a accepted her as top hen. She has been showing the girls how to dust bathe, use a water nipple, and how to get treats from me. Recently, she began showing them the nest box. Rhaega wasn't part of my plan, but I can't imagine my happy little flock without her.

View attachment 2505314
What’s up with her beak?

This is Moonshine, the silver Sebright, age 4---my very favorite chicken in the whole world. She is intelligent, friendly, outspoken, feisty....
She will let me dress her in costumes, fly to my arm on command, and come when called, but best of all, she's a compulsive broody and a doting mama. She has hatched 3 batches of full sized chicks who rapidly outgrew her.
View attachment 2505339
Tiny girl! So beautiful ❤️

A5E89DEF-734E-492F-834D-EB8790C4FD79.jpeg
Entry #3
This is Miss Blue, my silkie hen that passed away a few days ago. She’s always been sort of odd. For instance, ever since the day I brought her home she’s been best friend with my Cornish cross hen. They always used to sleep cuddled up to each other. Blue was also my first chicken that I bought, so she meant a lot to me.

Back
Top Bottom