Official Purely Poultry thread!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ordered some chicks from you yesterday! Super excited.
big_smile.png

Quote:
Tyler,when you do start raising your own birds, any idea what you will be starting? I love Silkies and currently get them from Amy Piehl in sleepy eye MN. I just picked up Monday 7 crested polish chicks that are the most beautiful chicks I think I've ever seen, they are my( Rod Stewart chicks) I got them from Duane Urch in Owatanna MN. another bunch came from Hoovers hatchery in Iowa. I got 6 chicks march 20 at the Swap in New Prague.. Will see if I keep my chickens this winter for a few eggs. Might buy a incubator and raise a few chicks and sell them on craigslist. talk Later, Laurie matson,Montgomery MN

What will Danke Farms raise?

I have decided that Purely Poultry will be the brand of my sales office and that Danke Farms will be the brand of our farm and hatchery.

I have customers always asking me this question. I never know what to tell them. Every time I am asked this question it drives my wife nuts because I debate it, discuss it, and every time I come up with that I will raise every type of bird that exists under the sun.

First let us go back in time to my experience in raising birds. Before Purely Poultry existed I grew up on my parent’s farm. My parents always raised some leghorn chickens for eggs and some Cornish cross for some meat. Then we received a hatchery catalog and started raising all different types of chickens and turkeys. We eventually started raising exhibition chickens and started hatching and selling them. During this time I started raising a few ducks and geese. Then I went off to college and my parents would not take care of the birds while I was gone so I had to disburse of them all.

I love educating people about birds. I love judging county fairs which have chickens, ducks, geese, turkeys, guineas, pigeons, and doves. I want to be educated and experienced with raising all of these types of birds. I want to raise each type of the birds that I will be judging. I also want to offer some of each type of bird for 4-H poultry project members.

I want to be an American Poultry Association licensed judge. I want to raise some really high exhibition quality birds and attain Master Breeder and Master Exhibitor status.

I believe poultry is about eggs and meat and that any true poultryman should raise them for those purposes. I want to provide meat and eggs for my family, friends, and community. I believe in local agriculture and want to raise produce and poultry for the local community.

I also believe in the conservation of rare breeds and species. I would like to raise breeds listed on the American Livestock Breeds Conservancy Conservation Priority List and protect them for their ornamental and production uses.

Gamebirds are an excellent recreational bird that I would like to offer our customers.

I would also like to raise captive bred wild waterfowl and pheasants. I believe that breeding and maintaining captive populations of wild birds is essential to the success of many species. The captive bred specimens can be used to learn about the wild populations and can also be reintroduced into the wild if there is the need for it. I would also like to make these birds available for others to enjoy.

As far as what poultry breeds I will raise specifically it all depends on what my customers demand, what I am able to acquire, and what is in most need of conservation and improvement. In 2010 the high demand breeds are dark brown egg layers, excellent meat producing pure breeds. Barnevelders, Welsummers, Marans, and Penedesencas are in high demand for their dark brown eggs. Delawares, Buckeyes and Dark Cornish are in demand for their meat producing capabilities. I specifically enjoy Black Australorps, Barred Plymouth Rocks, Golden Spangled Hamburgs, Dominiques, and Ameraucanas. As for duck breeds, my wife loves Call Ducks. They are in high demand and there is a low supply of them so we will raise them. I enjoy Black East Indies, Mandarins, and Wood ducks. I also enjoy White Mute Swans, Pilgrim Geese, and Egyptian Geese.

So all of this said there are many breeds and species I would specifically like to raise. Actually I would eventually like to open an avian zoo that would be open to the public to learn about and observe the beautiful birds that God has created for us. The Avian Zoo would be a place where visitors can pet chickens and ducks, view displays of all the species.

In order to combine all of my goals this has to happen in phases. First I would like to develop Purely Poultry as a sales office first. Then I would like to start farming myself second. Hopefully that farm will grow into a hatchery, local food business. The pinnacle of my career would be an Avian Zoo.

This is not a completed document but I need to stop dreaming right now and work on returning customers calls and emails.

Tyler, just want to let you know I'm still waiting for the catalogs and buisness cards to come in the mail. Thought they would have arrived by now !!! Laurie Matson.

Hi Tyler,

I am really happy with the chicks. but remember I told you the blue cohins looked like bantman, well they still do. I will wait the 6-8 weeks like you asked. But I wanted to know if you want me to mail a picture in to you so you can see. I would have to mail one cuz I don't have a computer any more, I am at the library now. Just let me know, and if you have any questions, it may take me a bit to get back to you.

Thanks so much, love the birds!!!!

Tracy

Quote:
Hi Tyler - I noticed that some hatcheries do not ship to Virginia, why is that?

BTW - I love your site and just read over your history page I the site! I admire your business sense!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom