I didn't say roosters were not capable of raising chicks. I have seen them do so, and even brood a clutch of eggs frequently. You should have taken notice of the word typical I used. My rooster has sat on eggs before. I would rather have a new chicken raiser take precautions with putting chicks around a rooster, than having the chicks killed.
If they go about integration in a proper way, the risks are minimalized

As statistics go your hens will injure/kill chicks before your Roo will. These chicks are his future hens as @Auntiejessi3 has said. When you see your Roo staring at the babies with his head low to the ground, he's imprinting on them.
Why are you re-homing your Roo?
I was going to rehome him because my kids are scared of him. He's really not aggressive, unless provocted. But one time my son ran by and roo bit his leg and now all my kids are scared of him lol.

We have the exact same coop (and additional run space off the side). The coop is big enough for 4 birds max, and that’s pushing it. You’ll need another coop.
We have the exact same coop (and additional run space off the side). The coop is big enough for 4 birds max, and that’s pushing it. You’ll need another coop.
My father has his old coop I can take I was just worried if it'll separate the flock or cause issues if they aren't all together at night. They free range my fenced yard during the day. Maybe I can make it attach so they can still be "together" when in the coops as well.

My father has his old coop I can take I was just worried if it'll separate the flock or cause issues if they aren't all together at night. They free range my fenced yard during the day. Maybe I can make it attach so they can still be "together" when in the coops as well.
You could try expanding it with a cattle panel chicken tractor and connect them with a chunnel or something like that till you get a bigger permanent coop built.

I was going to rehome him because my kids are scared of him. He's really not aggressive, unless provocted. But one time my son ran by and roo bit his leg and now all my kids are scared of him lol.
Then he is not a keeper, it shouldn't matter what is going on around him, he should be paying attention to his ladies. If he is that focused on your children, or can be provoked that easily I'd get rid of him asap. They can do serious damage to a child

Mine have a pretty big run and two of those snap-lock plastic coops. They don't all sleep in the same coop every night. No problem with flock integration. They're never locked up in the tiny coops during the day, though.

Mine have a pretty big run and two of those snap-lock plastic coops. They don't all sleep in the same coop every night. No problem with flock integration. They're never locked up in the tiny coops during the day, though.
How many do you have? Mine free range. I have the option to take my dad's old coop, it's about 2/3 times larger than this one on the inside. I wake up at 6 and let them out so they're only in there from dark til dawn. And when laying of course.

How many do you have? Mine free range. I have the option to take my dad's old coop, it's about 2/3 times larger than this one on the inside. I wake up at 6 and let them out so they're only in there from dark til dawn. And when laying of course.
Eight. I'll get more, I'm sure. The coops have roosting and nest-box space for twelve in each, but no real inside floor space. We just let them out early in the morning and close the doors at night.

Having a bunch of little coops that only sleep a few birds so the flock splits up at night seems pretty common. Maybe you'd get separate social-groups if the coops are far apart, but rows of them work fine.

Back
Top Bottom