Eggsandbeyond

Songster
Apr 13, 2023
So I have 5 hens 1 rooster now. I meant to order 3 pullets on meyer hatchery but somehow I ended up getting 9 chicks šŸ˜‚ I need to make my prefab coop larger. Or add on a second coop. They free range all day only lay and sleep in the coop. I had built a run because I was unsure how my dogs would act, but were great with them so now the run is for our rabbit. So they will all free range in my fenced in yard.

If I add a second coop next to mine will they all flock together still?

How would you expand this to fit everyone in one? (15 total)

Or should I just give a few to a friend/MIL and only keep the 3 I had intended on keeping? šŸ˜‚

I was thinking of removing the 2 pieces of wood that make the nesting boxes and putting another roost. And adding on some nesting boxes to one of the sides? Just brainstorming.

Any helpful ideas are welcome!

That coop is too small for the flock you currently have let alone adding to it.
You would need to expand to an area of about 54 to 60 sq ft of coop floor space with 15 linear feet of roost space. I'm not seeing how that is possible in that small structure.

Have you considered doing a mulligan and starting over? I would convert a shed into a proper coop and just keep the one you have for integration/isolation use.

If that isn't possible, I would give away/sell the extra birds and STILL expand the setup you have.
Where are you located in general? That would affect the suggested design change.

But at a glance, I would expand the coop all the way across to the other side of the "run" leaving the upper gable peaks covered with 1/2" HC and installing an awning to shield the vents from blown in rain/snow, build bump out nest boxes on the side they are currently on and convert the current nest box space into coop floor space, construct a new, larger predator proof run off the right side of the current setup so that you can install a ramp out of the coop to that area. If you make the run with a solid roof and enclose the walls with 1/2" HC you could leave the pop door open all the time and the birds would be able to come out as soon as they were off the roost in the morning to eat and drink and wait for you to let them out.

That coop is too small for the flock you currently have let alone adding to it.
You would need to expand to an area of about 54 to 60 sq ft of coop floor space with 15 linear feet of roost space. I'm not seeing how that is possible in that small structure.

Have you considered doing a mulligan and starting over? I would convert a shed into a proper coop and just keep the one you have for integration/isolation use.

If that isn't possible, I would give away/sell the extra birds and STILL expand the setup you have.
Where are you located in general? That would affect the suggested design change.

But at a glance, I would expand the coop all the way across to the other side of the "run" leaving the upper gable peaks covered with 1/2" HC and installing an awning to shield the vents from blown in rain/snow, build bump out nest boxes on the side they are currently on and convert the current nest box space into coop floor space, construct a new, larger predator proof run off the right side of the current setup so that you can install a ramp out of the coop to that area. If you make the run with a solid roof and enclose the walls with 1/2" HC you could leave the pop door open all the time and the birds would be able to come out as soon as they were off the roost in the morning to eat and drink and wait for you to let them out.
I agree with all of this. @CrazyChickenLady23's coop and run is way too small and chickens need a large space. In my opinion, you don't need chickens because they are already stressed with their tiny space. I don't mean to come off as rude, but it's the honest truth.

Not rude I was asking for honesty. Thats not the run however, the run extends along half the back yard and is attached onto the coop in the photo. They dont use it anyway. But I agree the coop is small. I'm thinking of giving some of the new ones to a friend and just building a new larger coop. Thanks for the advice I appreciate it!

Not rude I was asking for honesty. Thats not the run however, the run extends along half the back yard and is attached onto the coop in the photo. They dont use it anyway. But I agree the coop is small. I'm thinking of giving some of the new ones to a friend and just building a new larger coop. Thanks for the advice I appreciate it!
Thank you for understanding! This changes things, since I previously thought the main run was the thing housing the coop. You definitely need to expand the small coopļ¼it is not even enough for your current grown chickens. Note that you will have to build a temporary set-up for when your new chicks turn six weeks. Remember to never put chicks by a roosterļ¼the typical adult male chicken will want to get rid of competition, even if they are pullets.

Yes that makes sense. I am rehoming the rooster soon, just don't want him used for meat so hoping to have a friend take him lol. They roam the yard and only go in the coop at night, but even then I want them comfortable healthy and happy at night too. I have some time to rethink and plan before the chicks arrive. Maybe build onto what's already there with more nesting boxes? Thanks again for the help and input!

Remember to never put chicks by a roosterļ¼the typical adult male chicken will want to get rid of competition, even if they are pullets.
This isn't the slightest bit true, I've had a total of 42 chicks around my rooster this season, cockerels and pullets, some his offspring some not, and he had been nothing but nurturing! Roosters and hens don't see chicks as competition when they're little. I start integration very early after 3 days inside they go outside to the integration area, after a week the hidey holes come open and they begin to mingle with the bigs. I haven't had 1 chick injured by my hens or my roo. The typical adult male rooster wants to spread his genes as much as possible.

Last edited:
This isn't the slightest bit true, I've had a total of 42 chicks around my rooster this season, cockerels and pullets, some his offspring some not, and he had been nothing but nurturing! Roosters and hens don't see chicks as competition when they're little. I start integration very early after 3 days inside they go outside to the integration area, after a week the hidey holes come open and they begin to mingle with the bigs. I haven't had 1 chick injured by my hens or my roo. The typical adult male rooster wants to spread his genes as much as possible.
I didn't say roosters were not capable of raising chicks. I have seen them do so, and even brood a clutch of eggs frequently. You should have taken notice of the word typical I used. My rooster has sat on eggs before. I would rather have a new chicken raiser take precautions with putting chicks around a rooster, than having the chicks killed.

So I have 5 hens 1 rooster now. I meant to order 3 pullets on meyer hatchery but somehow I ended up getting 9 chicks šŸ˜‚ I need to make my prefab coop larger. Or add on a second coop. They free range all day only lay and sleep in the coop. I had built a run because I was unsure how my dogs would act, but were great with them so now the run is for our rabbit. So they will all free range in my fenced in yard.

If I add a second coop next to mine will they all flock together still?

How would you expand this to fit everyone in one? (15 total)

Or should I just give a few to a friend/MIL and only keep the 3 I had intended on keeping? šŸ˜‚

I was thinking of removing the 2 pieces of wood that make the nesting boxes and putting another roost. And adding on some nesting boxes to one of the sides? Just brainstorming.

Any helpful ideas are welcome!
We have the exact same coop (and additional run space off the side). The coop is big enough for 4 birds max, and thatā€™s pushing it. Youā€™ll need another coop.

Back
Top Bottom