Oh Craigslist, You Amuse Me So!

I had the weirdest craigslist experience when I bought my geese a month or two ago. I was texting this guy, just asking some basic questions like how old the geese were and why he was getting rid of them, etc. He was very chatty over text, and even funny. (Part of the reason why he was getting rid of them was he needed to downsize so they could fit in a different pen because a new neighbor was starting to throw rocks and beer bottles at them when they were noisy, he told me I could have the neighbor for free 😂) so we set up a meeting time at his house and drove over there. When we arrived, my husband said hi to him as he came out of his house, and the man walked right by without saying anything or making eye contact. I assumed he didn't hear what my husband had said, so we followed him over to his truck where he had a cage with the two geese in it, and he didn't make eye contact or say anything until we asked a question. And when he answered any questions we had, it was the most bare bones answer and still barely made eye contact. My only thought was that he is very awkward socially but he lets his personality come out online where he feels more confident. In any case, it was awkward.

I had the weirdest craigslist experience when I bought my geese a month or two ago. I was texting this guy, just asking some basic questions like how old the geese were and why he was getting rid of them, etc. He was very chatty over text, and even funny. (Part of the reason why he was getting rid of them was he needed to downsize so they could fit in a different pen because a new neighbor was starting to throw rocks and beer bottles at them when they were noisy, he told me I could have the neighbor for free 😂) so we set up a meeting time at his house and drove over there. When we arrived, my husband said hi to him as he came out of his house, and the man walked right by without saying anything or making eye contact. I assumed he didn't hear what my husband had said, so we followed him over to his truck where he had a cage with the two geese in it, and he didn't make eye contact or say anything until we asked a question. And when he answered any questions we had, it was the most bare bones answer and still barely made eye contact. My only thought was that he is very awkward socially but he lets his personality come out online where he feels more confident. In any case, it was awkward.
It's very possible he was upset about having to let them go. Or that he was shy. I probably act somewhat similar irl

It's very possible he was upset about having to let them go. Or that he was shy. I probably act somewhat similar irl
Either of those are likely possibilities. It was just very unexpected, considering how friendly and funny he came across over text. He was also at least mid-forties, which I wasn't expecting either.

Either of those are likely possibilities. It was just very unexpected, considering how friendly and funny he came across over text. He was also at least mid-forties, which I wasn't expecting either.
I wonder if maybe it was a different person? Like maybe the dad or something ??? Either that or it’s possible he may have had Aspergers or something? That would explain the trouble with the eye contact and awkwardness although I would have thought at that age maybe he’d worked on it by then.

I wonder if maybe it was a different person? Like maybe the dad or something ??? Either that or it’s possible he may have had Aspergers or something? That would explain the trouble with the eye contact and awkwardness although I would have thought at that age maybe he’d worked on it by then.
It was the same person based on our conversation.
It did occur to me that he could be on the autism spectrum, but I try not to jump to conclusions that drastic just because somebody acts awkwardly. I have two brothers on the spectrum, one high functioning and one not. My high functioning brother, if you met him in real life, you would not know he was on the spectrum unless he told you. He spent a lot of years in therapy and has worked hard. He can act awkwardly sometimes, but you would probably just think he's an awkward geek rather than autistic.

It was the same person based on our conversation.
It did occur to me that he could be on the autism spectrum, but I try not to jump to conclusions that drastic just because somebody acts awkwardly. I have two brothers on the spectrum, one high functioning and one not. My high functioning brother, if you met him in real life, you would not know he was on the spectrum unless he told you. He spent a lot of years in therapy and has worked hard. He can act awkwardly sometimes, but you would probably just think he's an awkward geek rather than autistic.
Yeah that makes sense! It just seemed like pretty extreme behavior and was only thing I could think of but maybe he was having a bad day or something, who knows

Back
Top Bottom