Oh Craigslist, You Amuse Me So!

I'm new to chickens so maybe I'm missing something here?

Blue Green Eggs Chilean Rare 1 Dozen - $8 (xxxxxxxxxx)

Date: 2012-06-08, 3:07PM EDT
Reply to: XXXXXXXXXXXXXX@sale.craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

1 Dozen Fresh Blue Green Chilean Eggs...Rare & Hard to Find..
Also Have Heritage Mixed Doz. @ $5.00 per doz. Blue,Green,Brown
Impress your friends & family !
We Deliver to XXXXXXXX ...
XXXXXXXXX's Chicken Ranch
Exit XX, XXXXXXX, XX

5Lc5E55J13K63Ie3l6c68f7463f51f3631c70.jpg

Those eggs are from easter egger chickens. Those eggs aren't rare. If someone was going to hatch the eggs, they would want to know the name of the breed. I have never heard of a Chilean breed of chicken. And why would someone want to buy rare eggs to eat? It seems like someone's idea to sell their eggs at a high price.

I think the Chicken Ranch was also a name for a house of ill repute. :)

Those eggs are from easter egger chickens. Those eggs aren't rare. If someone was going to hatch the eggs, they would want to know the name of the breed. I have never heard of a Chilean breed of chicken. And why would someone want to buy rare eggs to eat? It seems like someone's idea to sell their eggs at a high price.

I think the Chicken Ranch was also a name for a house of ill repute. :)
I think that's The Mustang Ranch... its a brothel in Nevada...

from wikipedia: "The Araucana, also known as a South American Rumpless, is a breed originating in Chile"
so I suppose if they really are Araucanas they might be worth $8 a dozen, but most of what's sold in the US as Araucanas are Ameraucanas or more probably Easter Eggers. 25 years ago there were some hatcheries selling "Araucanas", but the debate at the time said they were mostly Ameraucanas. now they're mostly easter eggers and a lot of the hatcheries sell them that way. so unless his line goes way back, these chickens are a looooong way from chile.

still, maybe their ancestors DID come from there. they could be Chilean the same way I'm a Viking Pirate Princess... about 25 generations back...
lol.png

edited to add this: http://www.ameraucana.org/faq.html
Aren't Araucanas the "original" breed of colored-egg chicken?
Although the APA Standard claims some Araucanas came from South America, the ABA Standard is correct in stating that Araucanas, as described in the our Standards, originated in the United States.
Historical evidence does not support the notion that only one type of chicken laid colored eggs in their native South America. No genetic linkage exists that would require colored-egg chickens to be tufted or rumpless. It is true the first recorded imports from Chile combined the traits of rumplessness, ear tufts, and colored eggs - but those birds resulted from a single breeder combining several strains and subsequently misrepresenting them as native fowl. An artist's depiction of the earliest imports in a 1927 National Geographic article served to perpetuate this myth. The Ameraucana breed was formulated and standardized, primarily in the north central U.S., to provide a colored egg fowl possessing more practical and true-breeding characteristics.
Ameraucanas were recognized as a separate and distinct breed in the early 1980's by the APA and by the ABA.

Last edited:
I have ads on Cl right now about my cat that has been missing for 9 months. When I originally got him & his sister, I thought they were both girls (a friend/neighbor was giving away woodpile feral kittens, & they sexed him as a girl), but after about a month the family jewels started showing. Anyways before I realized he was male I named him Gem & his sister Jewel. When I found out he was male I switched it to Jem like the character in To Kill a Mockingbird. Because I like the name, it fit him, he was used to it, & I just plain didnt want to change it. Anyways my ads are titled "Jem (neutered male cat) is still missing 9 months later". I also say he/him & give his description (age, sex, altered etc) multiple times in the ads, & I keep getting emails from people telling me that im a good pet parent because of my dedication & that they really hope I find her
th.gif
. I appreciate the kind words but am seriously sick of people not realizing he is male. I do not know how I can make it any more obvious
he.gif
. Im frustrated...it NEVER fails. Not one person that has replied has said he until after I gently correct them & even afterward some still say she/her
smack.gif

I'm so sorry about your cat
sad.png
My family is missing our dog. He has been gone for 13 months now. I feel your pain and hope you find your baby boy soon
hugs.gif

I have ads on Cl right now about my cat that has been missing for 9 months. When I originally got him & his sister, I thought they were both girls (a friend/neighbor was giving away woodpile feral kittens, & they sexed him as a girl), but after about a month the family jewels started showing. Anyways before I realized he was male I named him Gem & his sister Jewel. When I found out he was male I switched it to Jem like the character in To Kill a Mockingbird. Because I like the name, it fit him, he was used to it, & I just plain didnt want to change it. Anyways my ads are titled "Jem (neutered male cat) is still missing 9 months later". I also say he/him & give his description (age, sex, altered etc) multiple times in the ads, & I keep getting emails from people telling me that im a good pet parent because of my dedication & that they really hope I find her
th.gif
. I appreciate the kind words but am seriously sick of people not realizing he is male. I do not know how I can make it any more obvious
he.gif
. Im frustrated...it NEVER fails. Not one person that has replied has said he until after I gently correct them & even afterward some still say she/her
smack.gif
so sorry about your kitty...

and I think it's because it's generally known that all cats are female, and all dogs are male...

Thanks guys! Lol nope you sure cant. Im not giving up hope. Ya never know. Maybe Ill be in one of those stories in the news where someone didnt find their lost pet till years later, but they did find them. Hoping it doesnt take that long but still.

FREE ps3.. no catch mad at son! (Riverside)

Date: 2012-06-16, 3:36PM PDT
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

My son has been acting like a moron cause of this thing and is misbehaving...doesnt think i will give it away! not asking for money but will give it away to the person who isnt making much money and has kids that that take care of there things and not let it get to there heads like my brat son! fell free to call me all day today my number is (951)686-0116 .......PLEASE no texts only phone calll if i do not answe just leave a voicemail

5Ld5X15Mb3n03J33Nfc6gee5faad949cb1d33.jpg

Back
Top Bottom