OH dear GOD, I am gonna need help!!! LONG!! PICS!

My candle will be lit for 7 pm Ea. Indiana time (two hours ahead of west coast?) You are a real good soul. Those birds are so lucky to have found you. I think this is proof that we all have to do our part, what ever we are capable of, sometimes very small, sometimes huge.......like this........wow........what an incredible load you are going to have in the good Karma wagon!!

Wow... I had no idea chickens could get barnacles and nails like that. Thanks for sharing the story. It breaks the heart to see those pictures - I'm so glad that you've rescued them!

Regarding the former owner: A very good author and Psychiatrist, Dr. M. Scott Peck wrote about people with some similar behavior in some case studies of his. He was trying to create a psychology to diagnose and treat/cure evil people - or as he called them, "people of the lie." One of his discoveries was that evil people can seldom be reasoned with -- they only understand force. I fear that she will go on victimizing innocents until somebody interviens...

God bless you for rescuing those chickens. If you are willing and able, I hope you can also make a difference at the local humane society as well.

justusnak, keep up the wonderful thing you are doing! I've heard the term "the crazy chicken lady". I think she fits the bill. What about notifying the police? Do you have animal control there? Contact someone in an animal rights forum-they will know what to do. Probably would like to burn her at the stake! This is just mean (and ignorant) to let an animal get in that kind of shape. That poor, poor rooster. Wish I lived close by too. Keep it up -you are in alot of prayers and miracles can be worked.

To anyone: How do you know if your chicks get leg mites??

Bamagirl.....the scales on thier legs will raise..and thats where the leg mites get under. Im sure it is very painfull...it just LOOKS painfull. I MIGHT have to try and find a vet for the roo, with the larger growth on his spur. Im just too scared to try and cut it off...I dont want to hurt him. I am going to give them all a few weeks of rubbing vasoline on thier legs, and see from there what I will have to do.
sad.png

Hi Deb - well this story had both a happy and sad ending. Happy that she admitted she can't handle all the chicks she had and gave some to you but oh so sad that they are in the shape they are. Bless you for taking care of them.

Regarding the scaly leg mites - there is a product called Scalex that is sold in pet shops for treatment of scaly leg and beak mites in caged birds - would that work in this case? Really have no idea - just know that there is a spray product for that purpose. I'm guessing if it works for caged parrorts and such it would work for chickens.

Hey Ruth, Thanks for the info. I have never heard of this product, and well....vasoline is cheap, and I understand it will work well. There are 20 of these babies to grease down every few days....and 20 more possibly coming next week!! I have to go as inexpencive as possible.
hmm.png

...unresponsive cases to the vaseline will respond to a creme or spray containing ivermectine applied topically to the encrusted area.

Back
Top Bottom