Oh Dear, what am I going to do?

crj

Songster
10 Years
Dec 17, 2009
Rocky Point, NC
I have the prettiest runner ducks. They were hatched May 4th where I bought them from a hardware store. I'm finding out that I may have 5 drakes and 1 duckling! What in the world am I going to do?? I know this wouldn't work out if they were chickens. This is my first time with ducks. They are so very cool, afraid of so many things including me at the moment.

Runner ducks are not very common around here. I will look for more ducklings in the meantime. So, those who have had ducks for some time, what would you do in this situation? I just don't have any luck with straight run. It's already been proven more then once with my chickens. I was thinking eventually I would have to separate the boys from the only girl I have. Probably leave 1 boy with her. Is it easier to sell drakes? then it is to sell roosters? Any thoughts on this would be helpful.

BTW, I am on the NC southeastern coast. Anyone have any girls???????
hu.gif

You can try and sell them. I have an extra drake I am trying to rehome. Sometimes they sell, sometimes they don't. It never hurts to list them on craigslist.

If you have bad luck with straight run, order some sexed ducklings from Metzer. It's a little extra, but well worth it to get what you need. Nettie has some really cute Metzer runners. I have some Metzer Welsh Harlequins.

I would watch them closely and start finding good homes for the boys. If you want to keep a drake, get some more females.

Sad to hear of your dilemma. It is just not easy sometimes.

You may find that selling the female and keeping an all male flock works fine, although all those raging hormones in the mating season might test your patience and love for them
lol.png

I would have said females would sell easier than males because people want them for the eggs and to keep a good ratio - people need more females than males! If you wanted the eggs for eating or breeding then try and find good homes for all but one of the boys and get yourself some definite girlies
smile.png

I had a drake pen for awhile (and probably will again soon). They all seemed to get along fine and were fun to watch hang out together. My ducks are pets more than anything else, so a few less eggs to worry about is a good thing. I know some don't have the luxury of space for extra housing though.

Well, today was a good day. I believe we have another girl
wee.gif
Yep, she finally got a quack out. So, it's possible we have 2 girls and 4 boys
hmm.png
I posted on Craigslist for any females. We'll see what happens. Someone might find that they can't deal with there runner ducks. I'd be very happy to take them on.........
big_smile.png
They are still young so it is possible. I'll wait and see what happens. I might post to sell some of the boys. But it's true for chickens........ no one wants a rooster. Seems just a little different from what I've read on the duck board. You can have just male ducks. That is a plus. Time will tell.

As for being dog food? Nahhh, my dogs don't eat there friends. Besides, they just aren't meaty enough.
tongue2.gif

I have at least one in every color Metzer Farm offers, lol, some colros I have two!

Victor and Ming Mei-
37821_520870265844_119301008_30822207_5719430_n.jpg

My four oldest- one of every color-
19139_517352270934_119301008_30712834_4602074_n.jpg

And just one of Victor being handsome-
27695_519877849654_119301008_30783452_1003305_n.jpg

It's about $60 for up to 6-7 ducklings from metzers. They have a minimum fee, but you can get them sexed, which is great. They are great people too! I had a duckling die from a genetic disorder about a week after I got him, and they sent me two new ducklings free of charge. They will have a heat pack in their little box. I also pay the extra $1.00 for them to put grow gel in the box with them as well, just in case they are a day late.

OMG, nettie they are just too cute.
love.gif
I wouldn't be able to get those outfits on my ducks. They are terrified of me.....
roll.png
Maybe one day they will come close to me without bribing them with food.

I really wanted to get eggs. I'm hoping another girl will show up. I doubt it though. Two might be it. Do you think they will all get a long ok with 2 girls and 4 boys? I know it doesn't work for chickens. Right now the main girl will go off by herself for a while. She will sit alone in a patch of grass or near a tree. I know for sure 3 are boys since they bob their head up and down and then rattle the back of the female duck. I think that's when she gets out of the pool.

They haven't bothered the other female yet. Still maturing I guess. I'm hoping to find someone local that want to rehome there ducks
fl.gif
We will see. Have you ever gotten any from McMurray Farms?

Back
Top Bottom