Oh Feathers

Bkyrdpeckrhed

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 9, 2016
It is January 2018 in Eastern PA. My birds are well cared and get well fed but their feathers still aren't looking too good. I have 12 hens and 1 rooster. I get a dozen eggs per day but sometimes only 11. How long does the molt last? They look pretty scruffy and some have feathers missing on the back. The rooster is a mating addict. Good grief! I am wondering if my girls are missing feathers from being "ridden" constantly or if something else is wrong? The rooster tail is also kind of straggly. Any thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, welcome to BYC! :frow

Your birds aren't molting or they wouldn't be laying eggs.

How old are they? Can you post pics? What does "well fed" mean? What are you feeding (protein %), including treats and supplements?

Mites, lice, pecking order or parasite can be an issue. My birds who are just over a year old but not yet molted always look scraggly from having older feathers.

For the kind of egg production you are getting I'm guessing still kinda young. Younger boys are hormone raging teens essentially. They usually simmer down a bit with age... but probably not going into spring. Your bare backs are likely over mating. Some people use an apron for their hens. I use a holding pen for boys to prevent over mating. Your 12-1 ratio should be good but age is probably a factor. And he may be focusing his attention on certain ladies sometimes can be the issue even with a good ratio of hens.

Back
Top Bottom