Oh GROSS-- Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by flgardengirl, May 14, 2011.

1. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    My little phx hen who is about a year old went over her run a few days ago and back into the woods where I don't usually let them freerange. The next day she was hunched over and would not come out of the coop to eat. I felt her crop and it felt pretty full but not super hard. I couldn't find anything else wrong with her so I treated her with some olive oil and massaged her crop to see if I could get things moving being that is was that full early in the morning and she hadn't eaten yet. She was still acting the same for 2 days and not eating at all and the crop was still not emptying. When I was massaging her crop it felt like there were some little hard 'knots' of something in there.
    Yesterday she did not poop at all and this morning she had a few tiny off white thick liquid mucousy poops and that was all. I did get her to drink a little.
    Well tonight, I went to check on her and found this nasty thing in her cage. I had been keeping the cage spotless so I know she pooped it out. She also took a few bites of food tonight.
    I am wondering if this is what was blocking her up? AND what the heck is it??? It is tough and fiberous. It doesn't look like any of the pictures I searched for of poultry worms either. It isn't moving or anything. It is a little whiter in color than the photo shows. Any guesses to what this is?

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 14, 2011
  2. bambi

bambi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Mo.
    Sorry no clue. Have you thought about cutting it open to see what it looks like on the inside?

3. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Yikes, bizarre-o. [​IMG] I'm stumped, but I'll be keeping my eye on this thread. [​IMG]

4. flgardengirl

Dec 2, 2009
    I know I have no clue what it is. It is either a dead two headed worm or a peice of gristley something she ate or...???... I don't know LOL.
    I hope its not some type of tumor or something. It is really firm and fiberous . I didn/t touch it with my bare hands though! I didn't cut it open yet because
    I wouldn't even know what to look for. I stuck it in a ziplock baggie so I can show dh when he gets home from work. I don't want it to spread if it is a worm or something contagious lol so thought the baggie would be a good idea.

Come to think of it she hasn't laid an egg in two days either but she isn't a real regular layer so I wasn't that worried and she didn't look like she was straining at her vent or eggbound or anything. I am thinking it must of been in her crop at some point because I could feel something hard like a knot that seems like it was the same size as the ends of this *thing*.

5. 1livelychick

1livelychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    Very Strange....Is she feeling better, though?
    Good luck with her.

6. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Has the crop gone down?

Imp

7. flgardengirl

Dec 2, 2009
    Her crop has not gone down all the way but I don't feel that knot now. She ate a little bit of food so she must be feeling a little better. She hasn't eaten in 2 days before tonight. Her pupils looked more dilated before too and now they are normal. She is still standing with her feathers a little poofed up. I hope someone can identify the gross thing so I will know if I should treat her and possibly the rest of the flock for anything.

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    How big is it? Can you give us some scale?

9. flgardengirl

Dec 2, 2009
    The middle part is probably about 3 1/2 inches long and the round ends are about the size of a marble each. The ends are not attached to each other even though it kinda looks like it in the photo. When I found it, it was in a spiral shape like it just came out of her intestine. I picked it up with long forceps and rinsed it off because it had pine bedding stuck to it and I wanted to get an accurate pic lol.

10. Chickie'sMoma

Chickie'sMoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by