OH NATIONAL 2012 ~ Are you going to be there?

There are people who are out there that will do that on purpose, sad to say. I am ashamed to say that I accidentally left one behind myself at a show this year, because she blended in right with the shavings in the coop...I usually walk the aisles several times and had two other people in my party do the same to be sure no one/nothing was left behind, and all three of us managed to overlook her. Thankfully, the show notified me and I had arrangements made for the bird to be shipped home to me before I even got home...if I hadn't already been over halfway home, with dark coming on and totally exhausted, I would have turned back for her. I would like to publicly thank the folks at the Gateway, Indiana show for their help in getting her back to me safe and sound...there are good people left in the world and they are some of them!

thumbsup.gif

There are people who are out there that will do that on purpose, sad to say. I am ashamed to say that I accidentally left one behind myself at a show this year, because she blended in right with the shavings in the coop...I usually walk the aisles several times and had two other people in my party do the same to be sure no one/nothing was left behind, and all three of us managed to overlook her. Thankfully, the show notified me and I had arrangements made for the bird to be shipped home to me before I even got home...if I hadn't already been over halfway home, with dark coming on and totally exhausted, I would have turned back for her. I would like to publicly thank the folks at the Gateway, Indiana show for their help in getting her back to me safe and sound...there are good people left in the world and they are some of them!

I use brightly colored food and water cups in my girls' cages so I can spot them from way down the aisle. I also do a head count, because I have gotten ready to leave only to discover I was missing one. So far, (knock on wood,) I haven't totally forgotten one yet, but I can see how it can happen. I also put zip ties on my cages after judging, to prevent anyone taking them. My birds aren't true knockouts, but they are all special to me, and I would feel a terrible loss if someone walked off with one of them.

That is fantastic
I glad you got your bird back. They start tearing things down as soon as the awards are done. You will even find birds on the ground because someone opened the wrong cage and didn't close it. 
How do you do that. I brought 4 birds with me, left with 8. I counted everyone numerous times. I would never want to be that person that said I left my bird at the show.....It is a poultry show after all. You bring them, you show them, you leave with them.
ya it sounds simple. But when you are taking 50+ birds and in all diffrent areas (AOCCL, SCCL, American ect) it's not that simple. I even have a check list but when you have some birds on champion row it's super easy to leave them when your picking up the others.
Sure it's simple if you only have a few.

Last edited:
I have thought about doing different things with my coop cups, but you have to be mindful of what could be considered to be "marking the coop" as well. There's some fine lines there. And yes, when they are spead out across the show hall, it can make it that much more difficult.

Neil, I jumped right in and took Champion d'uccle for my Mille Fleur hen. 1st show
clap.gif
Ahh-
Sucess! We are pleased that your birds are good enough to stand up in the tough competition and that you enjoyed the show.

Another one hooked!

I haven't gone back to see what the person who posted here that has some nice looking SL Wyandotte pictures did.

I have thought about doing different things with my coop cups, but you have to be mindful of what could be considered to be "marking the coop" as well. There's some fine lines there. And yes, when they are spead out across the show hall, it can make it that much more difficult.
If someone is going to steal a bird there is little you can do to deter them.
Nearly all the birds that are "stolen" are lost due to the wrong birds being boxed in the haste of cooping out. A nylon zip tie is enough to stop someone from grabbing the wrong bird as is enough to cause them to pay attention.

Back
Top Bottom