OH NATIONAL 2012 ~ Are you going to be there?

Had a great weekend! Our daughter did very well with her Rhode Island Red bantam pullet....Best of Breed, Champion SCCL, Champion Bantam, and over all champion of the youth show....out of over 1,500 birds! We were very plesantly surprised, and our daughter is absolutely thrilled!

Ok. The more I read the more interested I am in driving up on Saturday. Am I insane to be looking forward to a convention hall-size room full of chickens?

See everyone there! Thank you for the posting. This was great!

OK - just for us newbie - backyard types....... would this be good to attend and just look around and see what is out there?

Is there a vendor area?

Is there education available?

Or is this just for the experienced chicken-ers to show?

I will look at the website, but as you said - this is in my backyard and to miss it may be silly!

I am a newbie and am having a hard time finding fall chicks. I was sooo excited when I saw this until I typed it into mapquest :( 5hr 17min. Although I would probably pay more in shipping to find all the breeds I want. Definitely gonna have to run it past the hubby, he's gonna think I'm crazy.

Do not expect to find many chicks at any fall show. In the exhibition poultry world hatching usually starts right after The OHIO NATIONAL. The show is part of the grande finale on the season signals the start of the breeding/hatching season.

The flip side of not finding chicks in the early fall, is that a lot of breeders (especially with higher than normal feed prices this year) will be selling a lot of breeding age birds that they are not keeping for breeding. The Ohio Nationals in my experience is a great place to find good breeders to start yourself with. This fall in particular I've seen a lot of breeders selling all but the very best they have to limit the amount of feed they need over the winter, so it's a good year to jump in with some quality stock. If you have a specific breed in mind, it's best to try to make arrangements before you go to help insure you get what your looking for...otherwise impulse buying can quickly empty your wallet given all the great looking birds in the sale pen area!

I am a newbie and am having a hard time finding fall chicks. I was sooo excited when I saw this until I typed it into mapquest :( 5hr 17min. Although I would probably pay more in shipping to find all the breeds I want. Definitely gonna have to run it past the hubby, he's gonna think I'm crazy.

No whining over the distance! I am coming from over ten hours away, and through another storm at that! It's worth the drive, I promise - bring your camera!

Does anyone know of someone bring show quality LF Silver laced Wyandottes? I'm lookin for blood lines besides Foley because I already have a bunch from him. I think one of the breeders is named Sterling? Any contact info would be greatly appreciated.

OK - my husband thought it was silly to drive 1 1/2 hours to look at chickens. Then I couldn't get him out of the aisles!!!

He would look at a chicken that he thought was 'pretty' and I would look it up in the Breeds Forum here and give him the reviews!

After seeing a Buckeye up close (versus a pic in a catalog) we actually found it to be beautiful!

Great way to spend the morning!

Thanks again for putting this post in - I would never have known about this otherwise!

Back
Top Bottom