Oh No! 3 out of 4 silky chics are roos!

boxermom

Songster
10 Years
Feb 22, 2009
Spencer,IA
Now what do I do? We process our extra Bo roos, but what do you do with silkies? I can't imagine keeping all 3 of them. I learned last winter that keeping too many roos is very hard on the hens. (some were accidental) I don't want to keep more than 2 roosters. Would a silky be considered in that catagory or are they too small that it wouldn't matter? I've never had silkies before and don't know how big they get. Mine are about 5 months old. 1 started to crow 2 wks ago, another last week and I'm waiting for the 3rd to start.
hu.gif

If they are standard sized you should still be able to process them, I have herd of it being done.
idunno.gif
but I am no expert, I don't know much about silkies.

Last edited:
I can sympathize with you.....I think 75% of the eggs I hatched this year turned out to be roo's....
If you keep the roo's together, never separating them, the boys will get along fine with each other. If they're in with hens....who know?

I feel your pain, every silkie we hatched has been a boy and I really wanted a hen.
If you want to eat the birds the others are right, I've seen them at the Asian market here too. If you can get past the weird color, they are still chickens (maybe make soup since they are small).

Thank you all for your replies. I don't know if they are standards or not. They came from the feed store. It's good to know we can eat them though. sgtmom52, those black birds are kind of disturbing...
sickbyc.gif
:) One of mine is black...
hmm.png
Guess you never know until you try.

Back
Top Bottom