oh no! I'm going to have to do surgery - I know it *update **

HennysMom

Keeper of the Tiara
11 Years
Jul 9, 2008
Somewhere Over the Rainbow, VA
sad.png
* about to cry here*

my baby girl Runt (who is now one of the biggest of the crew) definately has an impacted crop, no doubt about it. I've been doing the EVOO and ACV, along with yogurt to all my birds (some of them have larger crops than others, but in the mornings, most are down, soft and pliable) - all except Runts - and Allyssa's is too.

Today I went out and checked on them - they really hadnt eaten at all (on pellets, layer) - and I picked Runt up and her crop is the size of my hand at least and very hard. She doesnt like when I touch it - I cant even move it its so hard.

Oh my goodness - what will I do now? I've seen the surgery techniques but I am SO TERRIFIED to do that procedure. I just am not that brave and we definately dont have anyone here that can do it. $300.00 to do the surgery from what I've read apprx. from others that have paid avian vets - ouch. She is my pet...but.....its alot of money, but I also dont want to cull her either.

I'm literally about to cry as I sit here
hit.gif

Last edited:
O'kay. Calm down and don't cry.

Put her by herself in a warm, dim, quiet place.

Do not give her any food for the next 8 - 12 hours. Make sure there is no bedding that she can eat. Only give her water with raw organic apple cider vinegar.

If you have to give it by beak with a syringe yourself to get her drink do so, carefully. The ACV helps to kill any bacteria, yeast, fungus or virus nasties from growing in the crop.

Very gently without pushing upward massage her crop once an hour.

At the end of this period begin feeding her bits of bread soaked in olive oil. Make sure she also has lots of water.

For the next 24 hours only the olive oil bread and water.

Once an hour gently massage her crop and see if anything is loosening and trying to move through.

With only bread soaked oil you should start to see some significat poops. Keep her bedding clean and don't use anything for bedding that she might eat.

If the crop has significantly began to empty you can give her some bits of cooked rice and a little yogurt. You can also give some water softened pellets/crumbles made mushy. A small bit of scrambled eggs will help her too with added protein.

Keep us posted with updates.

Surgery is not always the only answer.

Big hugs! I don't think I could operate on one of my girls. Luck for me, I haven't had to deal with anything like this. If it comes down to surgery, be brave. Just think of it as doctoring a bad wound.
hugs.gif

Okay MissP - I've printed out what you said to do. OMG I'm so scared I'm going to have to do that surgery - you dont even know. I'm such a softie and yes..I'm crying just sitting here thinking that my girl is hurting or could be dying as I sit here. Geeezzz....

So what happens if the crop is extended afterwards, I mean, if I can clear it w/out surgery? Will I have to cull her? The only bedding they have is pine shavings and I dont believe they eat them - I dont see them eating them anyway - they all roost on the bar at night to sleep (I check on them thru the window) and its just dirt in their run. They do get to eat grass when they free range but I'm always out there with them so I keep an eye on how much they eat too - mostly they're scratching for bugs for the most part.

awe man...... see - this is why I didnt want any more pets...
sad.png
I love animals too much.

When you withhold food she will begin to eat whatever she can if she thinks she needs to eat or peck. Put her in a dog crate on some old towel or something. She won't be able to peck and eat the towel.

If over the next 3 - 4 days you can get the crop to empty then we work on getting the crop to heal and shrink back down to normal size.

One step at a time.

Okay - she's been in her crate and she is NOT happy I assure you
hmm.png
Now I know which one "honks"! Good LORD is she louuddd - nothing like waking up to what sounds like 10 Geese in your dining room
tongue.png
I did cover her cage with a towel though and she calmed down a little bit..not much, but enough.

She's drinking the water although she doesnt really like it - her crop is still large and hard although not AS large as it was last night so I'm guessing she's passing the food portion and whatever is in there thats hard (about a golf ball I'd say now) is still there. Wow she's got a very large crop to go from a baseball to a golf ball in the morning - ? Is that too large for a chicken? Is it a defect or something?

Definately hungry thats for sure - she's got eating time coming up and we begin just the bread/oil combo at that point.

Man I pray this works.

Miss Prissy - I'm up for adoption too - and I'm in your state
big_smile.png
(a huge hug and thank you very much)

Back
Top Bottom