OH OH Brooding Silkie with issues?

Eggscited

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 6, 2010
We have a brooding Silkie named Cherie sitting on a clutch of (what should be) fertile eggs and tomorrow is day 21 of the countdown. We are all are happily awaiting the peeping of baby chicks in the coop. Yesterday, however, we found an empty, broken egg shell kicked out of the nest, but no chick. Today, there was yet another empty egg shell and Cherie had shell and remnants of egg attached to her beak. We only have 3 chickens in all, Cherie, Charlie our rooster, and another hen, Blondie. This past week, Blondie was "helping" by sometimes also sitting on the clutch with Cherie. In general, she's not been very interested, but seems to have changed her mind lately. We thought Blondie's disinterest was because her own eggs seem to be quite fragile and soft shelled. We find them broken all around the pen and coop lately. I've added even more oyster shell to the food, and I am also giving them broken egg shells as suggested in this forum. I can't figure out what is going on. At first I thought Blondie had eaten the first egg, but now it looks like the culprit is Cherie, the Mama who has been diligently sitting all this time. Any theories as to what is going on here?? I am not sure whether to take Blondie out of the nest, or just wait and see what happens. Don't want to lose the remaining 8 chicks/eggs. Suggestions?

Usually I seperate my broodies from the other chickens to prevent this problem. Idk if i'd move her at this point, is there anyway you can keep the other chickens from monking round her nest?

Yes, I can certainly isolate Blondie, and just keep her in the pen most of the time. I'm just not sure Blondie is the problem at this point. It sure looks like Mama is also eating the eggs! Wondering if she might be just be getting rid of the eggs that aren't viable? Am I being too naive about this?

I meant seperate Cherie from the others. Fence off her box. And no, its not normal for hens to eat their eggs that they've been sitting on.

I am trying to hatch call ducks. they are at day 20. they are doing good so far any hints? what should i do for the last days? I lost my last one on the last day i dont want it to happen again. HELP PLEASE:)

Eggscited

We have a brooding Silkie named Cherie sitting on a clutch of (what should be) fertile eggs and tomorrow is day 21 of the countdown. We are all are happily awaiting the peeping of baby chicks in the coop. Yesterday, however, we found an empty, broken egg shell kicked out of the nest, but no chick. Today, there was yet another empty egg shell and Cherie had shell and remnants of egg attached to her beak. We only have 3 chickens in all, Cherie, Charlie our rooster, and another hen, Blondie. This past week, Blondie was "helping" by sometimes also sitting on the clutch with Cherie. In general, she's not been very interested, but seems to have changed her mind lately. We thought Blondie's disinterest was because her own eggs seem to be quite fragile and soft shelled. We find them broken all around the pen and coop lately. I've added even more oyster shell to the food, and I am also giving them broken egg shells as suggested in this forum. I can't figure out what is going on. At first I thought Blondie had eaten the first egg, but now it looks like the culprit is Cherie, the Mama who has been diligently sitting all this time. Any theories as to what is going on here?? I am not sure whether to take Blondie out of the nest, or just wait and see what happens. Don't want to lose the remaining 8 chicks/eggs. Suggestions?

I would try to isolate Cherie from the others. Is her nest on the floor, or high up?

Quote:
I just set duck eggs under my silkie. I've read where duck eggs need more humidity than chicken eggs in the last days, you may have to mist them a couple times a day.​

Back
Top Bottom