1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Oh Pip, Pip, who-fore art thou, Pip?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kbpratt, Jul 17, 2016.

1. kbpratt

kbpratt New Egg

Jun 10, 2016
    Metrowest Boston
    In my batch that I hatched nine weeks ago, one small chick hopped out of an egg marked FF for “Fun and Funky.” I can’t tell you what color or size the egg was with any assurance: perhaps small and white, perhaps larger and light brown.

According to MPC, where I purchased the eggs, a “fun and funky” chick, a FF might be:

Possible Fun and Funky Genes: Crested, Frizzle, Sizzle, Naked Neck, Silkied
    Possible Breeds: Easter Egger, Cochin, Silkies, Polish, Silchen, Seramas, etc.

So here’s Pip at 9 weeks. S/he (I think a pullet because of the flat comb and skinny legs?) is slightly smaller than my easter eggers and copper maran, fast, full of personality and quite chipper. Her/his bearing is more upright than the EE’s. I’ve included a pic with an EE and CM so that you can see the relative size.

Any thoughts on breed? Gender? Or do I need to wait a few more weeks?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

In the pic below, Pip is on the left, with an EE and CM to her right
    [​IMG]
    Gray, unfeathered legs and toes
    [​IMG]

Thanks for your ideas!

Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
  2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Looks like its bearded, pea combed and has slate legs. I'd guess its an EE. Since EEs are essentially mixed breeds and all birds are individuals that develop at their own rate, size really has no bearing.

I do think its a pullet though, a pretty one!

3. kbpratt

kbpratt New Egg

Jun 10, 2016
    Metrowest Boston
    I’m thinking half Easter Egger - curious about the other half!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by