OH PLEASE

SCOOBYDOOSMOM

Hatching
7 Years
Jan 18, 2013
CAN I USE ADVANTAGE PLUS FOR DOGS ON MY CHICKENS? I AM VERY NEW AT THIS, BUT I LOVE IT. YOU KNOW CHICKENS ARE PEOPLE, TOO. I CANT FIND A CHICKEN GROOMER ANYWHERE. I CANNOT BELIEVE IN THIS DAY AND AGE THERE IS NO SIMPLE WAY TO TREAT FOR PESTS. I GUESS LETTING MY CHICKENS WATCH ANIMAL PLANET IN THE BED WAS NOT SUCH A GOOD IDEA AS I NOW HAVE MITE BITES ALL OVER MY ARMS. I THINK THEY ARE MITES. THE DERMOTOLOGIST TOLD ME IT WAS JUST MY NERVES, YEAH RIGHT.

Hello and welcome to BYC
frow.gif
I think you'd be safer using a tried and tested product on your chickens. Most people here use Sevin dust (off label as it's not licensed for use on poultry any more, but it works very well) also diatomaceous earth (DE) though I heard mixed reviews on that one. Otherwise try Ivomec pour on, but don't use it too much as it's a dewormer as well and overuse can make worms resistant to it and if you do encounter a worm problem you may be in trouble. Ask at your local feed store what they have available. There are a few products available, but these are the ones I've seen recommended most often. An organic treatment that I've heard of, but haven't tried yet is diluted garlic oil applied directly to the skin as well as raw garlic added to the chickens' food. Good luck!

Greetings from Kansas and
welcome-byc.gif
! Great to have you here! I agree with sumi - I would avoid anything that isn't made specifically for or approved poultry. Dog/cat meds like Advantage and Front Line may cause serious heath problems for your birds - even death. And I certainly wouldn't want to eat the eggs from them. Good luck to you!

Welcome from Southern California! Agree with Sumi. You want to stick to something made for chickens. I used DE and the mites were gone in a few weeks. It takes longer to get rid of them with a "natural" treatment over chemical, and you need to really clean the whole coop out very thoroughly. Be sure to clean out all pine shavings/bedding, wash it thoroughly (I'd recommend a diluted bleach solution), and dust each of your chickens with DE. Concentrate on the vent/rear area. Also put a good layer of DE down in the coop, esp. in all nooks and crannies, before putting fresh bedding in. We did this and the mites were done in a couple of weeks. Good luck, I know it's miserable to deal with those buggers!

Back
Top Bottom