OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

We just got our first 5 chickens two weeks ago. They are 19 week old Golden Comets. I am so in love with these birds, they have officially become child # 3-7!
How about you??

I started with chickens a year ago last April!!!!!
Totally hooked. Sold some chickens, long sorry. Currently have 33 . 11 laying, 1 broody on 12 eggs. 8 OE that at 9 wks, 3 IB, 1SA, 2 white cochins all 5 weeks, 4LA, & 3LCO that are also 5 weeks. I have had3 hens this year.

Thank you. If ican keep my hands out of the incubator ill be ok. Lol I have learned a lot and I think the dry hatching and combination humidity may help me out a lot.

Does anyone know if to ship to Ohio if the person has to be NPIP? The isbars aren't NPIP and she is willing to ship chicks but couldn't find out if Ohio requires it or not.
you are supposed to be a member of NPIP to ship in or out of Ohio. if the person attends shows in Ohio you might be able to do it that way, or drive and get them. If you are a member of NPIP you are supposed to have the chickens checked before you sell any stock. im kind of new to this, but this is the way I understand it so far.

on the other end of this, you are also supposed to be NPIP to ship eggs in Ohio. people do it all the time without it. I don't know how regulated all of this actually is, I just became a member to be legal to ship. there is a benefit of it however, when you become a member they do a percentage sampling for pullorum/typhoid and avian flue. to become a member for me was $50, if I remember right they done 30 throat cultures for that membership fee.

you are supposed to be a member of NPIP to ship in or out of Ohio. if the person attends shows in Ohio you might be able to do it that way, or drive and get them. If you are a member of NPIP you are supposed to have the chickens checked before you sell any stock. im kind of new to this, but this is the way I understand it so far.

on the other end of this, you are also supposed to be NPIP to ship eggs in Ohio. people do it all the time without it. I don't know how regulated all of this actually is, I just became a member to be legal to ship. there is a benefit of it however, when you become a member they do a percentage sampling for pullorum/typhoid and avian flue. to become a member for me was $50, if I remember right they done 30 throat cultures for that membership fee.
If you want to sell chickens down the line, do you need to get the NPIP approved? I am new to that, how long does the member ship last and would it only be on the 30 that they do?

you are supposed to be a member of NPIP to ship in or out of Ohio.  if the person attends shows in Ohio you might be able to do it that way, or drive and get them.  If you are a member of NPIP you are supposed to have the chickens checked before you sell any stock. im kind of new to this, but this is the way I understand it so far.

on the other end of this, you are also supposed to be NPIP to ship eggs in Ohio.  people do it all the time without it.  I don't know how regulated all of this actually is, I just became a member to be legal to ship. there is a benefit of it however, when you become a member they do a percentage sampling for pullorum/typhoid and avian flue. to become a member for me was $50, if I remember right they done 30 throat cultures for that membership fee.

The breeder isn't NPIP but she does test all of her chicks for pullorum/typhoid and is renewing her certificate this month. I can't meet because she is all the way in Texas.

On the funny side, my DH finally saw the eggs in the incubator. Lol oh, he flipped. Thankfully it was super late so he just said he was gang to bed. All I got is "we talked about you not getting more." Hahaha he has no idea I added 4 more last week. He won't either. He really pays no attention so as long as I can hide them with the others he will never know.

Hello Buckeyes!!! I'm new to BYC in fact, I'm new to chicken ownership too! I'm from Piqua, just a bit North of Dayton! Glad to see so many other Buckeyes out there!! Looking forward to learning more about chicken ownership and everyone here!!
Hello and Welcome neighbor! Sidney here. Nice to know of more chicken people nearby. Lots of great information and people on here. Enjoy!

If you want to sell chickens down the line, do you need to get the NPIP approved? I am new to that, how long does the member ship last and would it only be on the 30 that they do?
the laws are fuzzy on selling chickens without NPIP, the punishment/fines are of even less detail. I have sold chickens in state and have never been questioned. ive went to swaps, and even shipped eggs. I have never been fined, and I don't know of anyone else who has been fined. im just getting to the point with my business that it was easier to become a member than to take the chance. this is not to be considered legal advice, its just the best answer I can give.
the $50 is for a 1 year membership. in my case they swabbed 30 birds for throat cultures, and tested 15 for pullorum on the spot. keep in mind I have over 300 breeder birds here. the birds must be of certain age. knowing that the only tested a percentage of my flock I intentionally chose birds that I would question. on your flock they may test more or less, depending on where your flock came from and how many you have. I think the membership also covers the booklets with your NPIP forms for shipping, during my test they gave me a book of 25 carbon copy forms.

pros:
low cost health test
a form of free advertisement, they list you as a NPIP approved breeder for each individual breed you do. this list is searchable.
ability to ship chicks to lower 48 states
the ability to sell to stores
if there is an outbreak near you they will call you
ease in your customers minds that you have some form of health check on your farm

cons:
after getting NPIP its recommended you only buy chickens from other NPIP members. this is not a rule as far as I can tell, but anything non NPIP should be held and spot checked for clearance.
a little more paperwork, the form is pretty simple to fill out. its just the fact of doing it.
your flock could be temporarly quarantined due to illness. but do you want to be known as the person who sold sick birds?

if your just raising a few Plymouth rocks and golden comets for egg production, its probably not worth it for you to get NPIP. if your raising breeder quality birds, I would recommend it. if your planning on showing I think its required. in my case, raising some rare breeds, it makes it easier to get a higher price and ship.

The breeder isn't NPIP but she does test all of her chicks for pullorum/typhoid and is renewing her certificate this month. I can't meet because she is all the way in Texas.

On the funny side, my DH finally saw the eggs in the incubator. Lol oh, he flipped. Thankfully it was super late so he just said he was gang to bed. All I got is "we talked about you not getting more." Hahaha he has no idea I added 4 more last week. He won't either. He really pays no attention so as long as I can hide them with the others he will never know.
if she has a certificate of health I think it is fine. again im not an expert on these laws.

I got some good and bad news on brussbars today. they are not extinct, im going to try and get my name on the waiting list but it might be a couple of years. here is the email

"Hello Brian,

We do indeed have the Brussbars here, in fact we hold the entire known world population of less than 20 birds. I am afraid that there would be no chance of supplying you with any birds in the near future, as we have bred very few chicks from them this year and there is already a waiting list of people in England wanting stock. We have only just avoided the breed going extinct and have a big task in trying to reestablish a reasonable breeding population. We have an excellent record of doing just that with other near extinct breeds, so if anyone can do it we will, but we are certainly not in a secure position with the breed yet.

Best wishes, Andrew Sheppy

A.J.Sheppy FLS FSB, Director, The Cobthorn Trust,
Homestead, High Street, Congresbury, Bristol BS49 5JA, United Kingdom"

Back
Top Bottom