OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

What a great plan! Is there a 4-H or Cloverbuds (is that right??) group in your area that she could join when she's a bit older? Such a fabulous experience and awesome to teach her the value of money. Why can't I do that with my money? LOL!! And I will be happy to enable any silkie addiction...;)

Lol yes she old enough to finally show next year at the county fair. I think I maybe more excited than she is. She has been trying to decide what color of "fluffy" to show. She loves them all. I think she may be more addicted than I am.

Our Four year old is begging for ducks! DH says as soon as she digs a pond she can have them. The poor little thing spent an hour today digging a hole in the back yard.

That's adorable! I agree, I think she earned the ducks lol. From about her age and growing up I always wanted pet ducks, never asked for anything else. Parents never gave me the ducks. So now I'm 25 with my own mini-farm and have over a dozen of them. >:D They are as wonderful, albeit messier, than I always imagined.

That's adorable! I agree, I think she earned the ducks lol. From about her age and growing up I always wanted pet ducks, never asked for anything else. Parents never gave me the ducks. So now I'm 25 with my own mini-farm and have over a dozen of them. >:D They are as wonderful, albeit messier, than I always imagined.

Lol I am the same way. Always wanted every animal growing up. Never got anything but a dog. Now I'm 29 with 4 kids. We have about 30 chickens, 4 dogs, a cat, a bunny, hermit crabs,and an incubator full eggs.not to mention my DH is talking about letting me get a Pygmy goat. I definatley have the farm I always wanted. Well, minus the pot belly pig. I can't con DH into it for anything.

Last edited:
This is our first season with chickens and before that we only had a cat. DH has been reluctant at best. But I think we will have ducks by next spring. Any recommendations for a good starter duck? Eventually I hope to work up to a couple pigmy goats. But it may take a few years.

One of the BEST things about living in Ohio and owning chickens is you can drive to Meyer Hatchery and pick them up. One of the WORST things about living in Ohio and owning chickens is you can drive to Meyer Hatchery and pick them up. True story.

Yes, Chicken math struck again. What started as a simple order for a suddenly available Wheaten Ameraucana, cascaded into an order of 3 (New Hampshire Red and Speckled Sussex), since of course she will need friends her own age, right?

Before picking up that order, my DH mentioned (without prior knowledge of the aforementioned above order) that we need some white egg layers and more dark layers. So, an order for a Welsummer (darkish and spotted eggs) and a Salmon Faverolle (creamy tinted eggs) was placed for the same pick up day.

On the way to picking up those chicks today, I noticed on my phone (Yes, while driving. I had my phone webpage programmed to Meyer. A sign of a real mental disorder, I think) that Meyer "Available Now" chicks had posted and lo and behold there was a Cuckoo Marans. (DH DID say we needed more dark egg layers, right?)

So ... we are the proud owners of 6 more chickens. Unfortunately it looks like the Wheaten Ameraucana won't last through the night, if even the next hour, so maybe just 5 more chickens.

Brings us up to a grand total of ... wow ... 35 chickens.

Not including the two incubators currently full of eggs.

Good Lord. I promised DH we'd only have THREE when all this started last December.

CrazyChick, fwiw, my two cuckoo marans girls from Meyer lay lovely dark eggs. The welsummer girls were laying white ones -- seriously. Don't know what was up with that, but I've been very happy with their cuckoos :) And I know what you mean! I'm 20 miles down the road from them -- temptation is hard to resist!!!

One of the BEST things about living in Ohio and owning chickens is you can drive to Meyer Hatchery and pick them up. One of the WORST things about living in Ohio and owning chickens is you can drive to Meyer Hatchery and pick them up. True story.

Yes, Chicken math struck again. What started as a simple order for a suddenly available Wheaten Ameraucana, cascaded into an order of 3 (New Hampshire Red and Speckled Sussex), since of course she will need friends her own age, right?

Before picking up that order, my DH mentioned (without prior knowledge of the aforementioned above order) that we need some white egg layers and more dark layers. So, an order for a Welsummer (darkish and spotted eggs) and a Salmon Faverolle (creamy tinted eggs) was placed for the same pick up day.

On the way to picking up those chicks today, I noticed on my phone (Yes, while driving. I had my phone webpage programmed to Meyer. A sign of a real mental disorder, I think) that Meyer "Available Now" chicks had posted and lo and behold there was a Cuckoo Marans. (DH DID say we needed more dark egg layers, right?)

So ... we are the proud owners of 6 more chickens. Unfortunately it looks like the Wheaten Ameraucana won't last through the night, if even the next hour, so maybe just 5 more chickens.

Brings us up to a grand total of ... wow ... 35 chickens.

Not including the two incubators currently full of eggs.

Good Lord. I promised DH we'd only have THREE when all this started last December.
Chicken Math is horrible! LoL We are up to 38 chickens (16 of them are chicks) only 4 or 6 laying eggs and waiting on the rest. :hmm

I want a Welsummer.... Choc Orp... and he wants at least one Polish Hen.. these things are are gonna break us! Hopefully when they are all laying we can sell some eggs

Not sure if my ones in the incubtor are going to hatch. I am doing the water test on the 18th and crossing my fingers. Curious what we are going to even get. Since we have a mix flocked and two of my friends who donated eggs have a mixed flock too. I need to learn who matches up with who the best once we get everyone we want. (if there is such thing)

Haha I feel your pain! I want some more Golden Pencilled Hamburgs and some Easter Eggers (ours have all passed on) and some that lay dark brown eggs and some
of those that Meyer advertises as being good free-rangers cause of their coloring and hardiness, and I don't even REMEMBER what those are! Well we are up to 48 birds
including our four peas and are about to break our own rule of 50 max...we had three broodies, one hatched two chicks, one hatched nine chicks, and the other one is setting
on 12 eggs due next week..
hmm.png
and they are ALL beautiful babies,
jumpy.gif
love.gif
and I don't want to get rid of ANY of them!!!! What to do!!! Gaahh!!!!!

Gol
Haha I feel your pain!  I want some more Golden Pencilled Hamburgs and some Easter Eggers (ours have all passed on) and some that lay dark brown eggs and some
of those that Meyer advertises as being good free-rangers cause of their coloring and hardiness, and I don't even REMEMBER what those are!  Well we are up to 48 birds
including our four peas and are about to break our own rule of 50 max...we had three broodies, one hatched two chicks, one hatched nine chicks, and the other one is setting
on 12 eggs due next week..:/   and they are ALL beautiful babies, :jumpy :love  and I don't want to get rid of ANY of them!!!!  What to do!!! Gaahh!!!!!

I would love a Golden Spangled Hamburg, as I love our Silver one.

I was just reading through this thread and thinking about how many of you are chicken addicts too.
lau.gif

do you think they are putting something in the water?? im glad I don't live so close to meyer, I would be in trouble. we did order some chicks from them this year though. of course we also ordered from eagles nest, and several private breeders. im afraid to count how many chickens I actually have. I remember when 50 lbs of feed lasted a week, then 100 lbs, now we are just over a 50 lb pound bag a day. the feed mill loves us.

Back
Top Bottom