OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by twincreekfarm, Jul 25, 2007.

1. mlaff

mlaff Songster

Mar 25, 2012
    Broke a legbar egg candling my orp eggs. Urg:(! On the bright side, I checked 5 of the legbar eggs and can see little babies already. Not too sure about the orp eggs. Saw some veins but some were questionable. Waiting until Sunday to check again.

2. loveourbirds

loveourbirds Songster

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    I know your anxious, try not to over candle. I don't know how many times I broke an egg when candling, almost always dropping one on another. I really want to see you hatching eggs. especially some of those legbars and isbars [​IMG]

3. Stevens21

Stevens21 Chirping

May 19, 2013
    Mount Orab Ohio
    Its so hard not to candle! 21 days just takes forever when your excited. I had two guys tell me I should do the water trick on day 18 before lock down and only put in those that move, then it is supposed to help them get out easier too? Not sure if I should do that or just put in lock down and watch like a hawk =)

I can't wait to see your babies!

4. loveourbirds

loveourbirds Songster

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    I have never tried the water trick, I just candle at day 18.

you are right, it is hard not to candle. it does get easier as you go.

5. mlaff

mlaff Songster

Mar 25, 2012
    I was trying to candle so I could trace the choc orp air cells. I gave up after breaking the one. I need to trace the air cells to make sure I'm doing it right. I just couldn't hep but check the 5 ccl eggs. Everyone of them looked great. I'm going to try and attempt tracing again. One good note is now the eggs aren't all squashed in there. Lol. Thinking on the bright side, bad side is the orps I did check I questioned almost everyone of them.:rolleyes:

The isbars are a for sure thing..... I am having chicks shipped ;)

Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
  6. mlaff

mlaff Songster

Mar 25, 2012
    I did the water test on day 23 of my first hatch.

7. mlaff

mlaff Songster

Mar 25, 2012
    Cracked open 2 orp eggs because there was no veining. Not fertile. Should have taken a third out but didn't. Many were questionable. 5 were definatly progeessing. Out of 16 I have 12 left and it is only the end of day 6. My daughter wanted to look at her ccl eggs. The ones we looked at looked great. A lot better than the orps. I'm looking out for her to offer them again and going heat up the styro incubator for more.

8. chickenpooplady

chickenpooplady Songster

Jan 16, 2012
    Ohio
    My Coop
    Hi everyone! As my two barred rocks are starting to feather out I think that I have a rooster. His feathers are much whiter then the other one's, his legs don't have as much black on them, and his comb is bigger and brighter.

[​IMG]

This is Miss Kay. I think that she is a pullet.

[​IMG]

This is Phil. I think that he is a rooster. What do you guys think? I am not worried about it, I just was curious.

9. loveourbirds

loveourbirds Songster

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    looks and sounds like a little rooster, another way to tell is roosters normally have thicker legs.

10. loveourbirds

loveourbirds Songster

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    sorry to hear about the orps. but it sounds like your having better luck this time around.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by