OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

I was just reading through this thread and thinking about how many of you are chicken addicts too.
lau.gif

do you think they are putting something in the water?? im glad I don't live so close to meyer, I would be in trouble. we did order some chicks from them this year though. of course we also ordered from eagles nest, and several private breeders. im afraid to count how many chickens I actually have. I remember when 50 lbs of feed lasted a week, then 100 lbs, now we are just over a 50 lb pound bag a day. the feed mill loves us.
Well, you are partially to blame for my addiction, since you sent me home with those eggs and 5 Basque and Turken chicks a few weeks ago! (They are all doing well by the way, with the exception of a Turken mysteriously passing after about a week. No idea why. First time I've ever had a mysterious death before. The Bantam eggs are coming along nicely. Still have 11 in the incubator. 7 are definitely progressing.)

Ok all you chicken addicts out there. I am also new to chickens. I have a question. I have 2 month old chicks and 1 month old chicks. What is the best way to blend them together. The younger chicks have been in the coop in a pen for a few days. Do you all think I would be able to do away with the pen? Also have 3 ducks 1 month old in a tote in the coop at night. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Ok all you chicken addicts out there. I am also new to chickens. I have a question. I have 2 month old chicks and 1 month old chicks. What is the best way to blend them together. The younger chicks have been in the coop in a pen for a few days. Do you all think I would be able to do away with the pen? Also have 3 ducks 1 month old in a tote in the coop at night. Thanks in advance for any advice.
welcome-byc.gif

they shouldn't be to territorial yet. try letting them out of the pen. there will be a little pecking order struggle, if one of them gets beat pretty bad separate them back to the pen.
others may have more or better ideas.

Well, you are partially to blame for my addiction, since you sent me home with those eggs and 5 Basque and Turken chicks a few weeks ago! (They are all doing well by the way, with the exception of a Turken mysteriously passing after about a week. No idea why. First time I've ever had a mysterious death before. The Bantam eggs are coming along nicely. Still have 11 in the incubator. 7 are definitely progressing.)
sorry to hear about the turken chick. im sure I can come up with a few more if you need them. btw the light Cornish still haven't layed, when they do I have you on the list.

on those bantam chicks, im pretty sure I gave you mostly old English bantams. all my old English bantams come from show lines (mille fleur d'uccle did too) if you decide to sell them, keep that in mind. I gave you a deal on those because im hatching more than I need of them, typically I get $30 a dozen out of those eggs if I sort out certain breeds for someone. as adults the average price is $20 and can go up to $50 per bird. if you decide to keep them just let me know in the near future, im still producing more eggs than I need and I will send you another dozen.

sorry to hear about the turken chick. im sure I can come up with a few more if you need them. btw the light Cornish still haven't layed, when they do I have you on the list.

on those bantam chicks, im pretty sure I gave you mostly old English bantams. all my old English bantams come from show lines (mille fleur d'uccle did too) if you decide to sell them, keep that in mind. I gave you a deal on those because im hatching more than I need of them, typically I get $30 a dozen out of those eggs if I sort out certain breeds for someone. as adults the average price is $20 and can go up to $50 per bird. if you decide to keep them just let me know in the near future, im still producing more eggs than I need and I will send you another dozen.
I think I am okay with Turkens for the moment, unless the chick turns out to be a roo and the 2 eggs don't hatch into females either. I'll let you know. Thanks so much for the offer.

Thanks also for keeping me on your Light Cornish list. I think they are beautiful birds.

Also thanks for the heads up on the OE Bantams. I have ZERO experience with bantams OR OE, so your info helps a lot. I will probably fall in love with all of them and have to build Coop #3, when Coop #2 isn't even done yet! The bantam eggs you gave me were the following: 1 Mille Fleur, 2 silver pencil rocks, 2 self blue, 1 buff silkie, 2 red pyles, 1 BB Red, 1 Black Rosecomb, 1 blue splash mott cochin, and 1 barred OE.

Thanks again!

Okay...these roosters gotta go!

I hatched out a bunch of Olive Eggers in January and 5 of them turned out to be roosters. That was okay with me since they are just beautiful and do a mighty fine job of alerting my flock of girls if there is any danger...real or imagined. BUT now they are picking on my silkies and I will have NOTHING of that! My silkies are only allowed out for recess for a couple of hours each day while I am right there with them, doing chores or gardening. To have these bad boys sneak up on them to pull their fluffy butts or try to mount my teeny girls is totally unacceptable...SO...

FREE ROOSTERS! Pick up only, of course! They are big, beautiful, healthy boys - Marans x EE crosses. PM me if interested
barnie.gif

I found a great chicken egg swap on Facebook and have been stalking it daily to see if there is something I want on it. Great thing is I can just offer PayPal since only one girl is laying, maybe 2 because I have one pink egg and one white egg, but they are mutts. Yep, may just have to start up the styrofoam incubator. It's in my daughters room. Upstairs still and my DH would never know. I'm also on a wish list group on Facebook for eggs. All I have to say is these sites are awesome :D ok, off to see if someone took the duck eggs and offered something I want.

I found a great chicken egg swap on Facebook and have been stalking it daily to see if there is something I want on it. Great thing is I can just offer PayPal since only one girl is laying, maybe 2 because I have one pink egg and one white egg, but they are mutts. Yep, may just have to start up the styrofoam incubator. It's in my daughters room. Upstairs still and my DH would never know. I'm also on a wish list group on Facebook for eggs. All I have to say is these sites are awesome
big_smile.png
ok, off to see if someone took the duck eggs and offered something I want.
I have a big want list right now on eggs lol

However... I have 8 more days till lock down to see if I had any luck with this hatching. If this works then I just may have to start on my wish list just hope my husband won't mind
wink.png

I am thinking next year I want to start breeding some.

I have a big want list right now on eggs lol However... I have 8 more days till lock down to see if I had any luck with this hatching. If this works then I just may have to start on my wish list just hope my husband won't mind
wink.png
I am thinking next year I want to start breeding some.
I'm slowly working on my want list. Cream legbars and choc orps in the incubator, isbars being sent out in August along with a mix of lavender ameracunas and wheaten marans. Ordering more silkies and eggs and then I will start breeding. Since I found them all I am going to have to build another coop or two. My husband will kill me by summers end. Lol

I think I am okay with Turkens for the moment, unless the chick turns out to be a roo and the 2 eggs don't hatch into females either. I'll let you know. Thanks so much for the offer.

Thanks also for keeping me on your Light Cornish list. I think they are beautiful birds.

Also thanks for the heads up on the OE Bantams. I have ZERO experience with bantams OR OE, so your info helps a lot. I will probably fall in love with all of them and have to build Coop #3, when Coop #2 isn't even done yet! The bantam eggs you gave me were the following: 1 Mille Fleur, 2 silver pencil rocks, 2 self blue, 1 buff silkie, 2 red pyles, 1 BB Red, 1 Black Rosecomb, 1 blue splash mott cochin, and 1 barred OE.

Thanks again!

millie fleur d'uccle overall quality is about 7
silver penciled rocks not sure of the quality, I bought the only ones I have ever found that were pure. penciling is nice, type is pretty good.
self blue if they come out lavender color in a month they are pretty good birds, there are some almost white birds coming from that group.
buff silkie is just an average everyday bird
red pyles, show bred for type, some chicks come out fine, some red is a little light.
b.b. red overall quality is about 8
black rosecombs - trouble with fertility, both breeding groups were first place at show.
blue splash mottled cochin, beautiful leg feathering on adults but I haven't had them long enough to see the chicks.
barred oe, smallest of my old English bantams color and type is excellent other than I would like to see a little more fullness in the tails.

a word of advice for old English, if you decide to keep them the roosters have to be separated. they were bred from game birds and still have the fight in them. if you decide to keep one of the colors let me know, I might have some extra hens or roosters if you need them. im growing about 80 right now, and plan on keeping another 100 to sort through

Back
Top Bottom