OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

@SilkieSensation
 , I know the chicks you have were mostly for the canceled swap meet but do you normally have so many? Are you a hobby chickeneer ( ha ha- made a word up) or is it more of a business?

I'm looking into more ways/possibilities to leave the office environment. Paper shuffling is not that rewarding. :rolleyes:

I hatch chicks for the swaps & don't make anything off of them if I have to feed them more than a couple days. My turkey poults help pay the feed bills. I get $15 each at hatch & they go up $1 every week I keep them. Sold almost $200 in poults in the last 3 days. They now have a waiting list.

My new coop is being built!!This is the start of day two.We finished for the day at 16 layers of landscape timbers. Hubby made an adapter for the air chisel to drive the barn spikes.Only 10 layers left before roof joists go on. Cochins will be moved soon hopefully.

Last edited:
Thank you for the helpful and hopeful opinion! Yes they do look very similar. Just not nearly as much black around their necks. I'll try to post a pic.
I also agree with not eating them! I love chicken, but it's different when they are more your kids pets than a food source! Lol! Thanks again. I am a bit more hopeful now.
1f600.png

My mom wrote down a list of what the feedmill was getting this year we live in johnstown). I wish I knew if she threw it away or not. What you are describing sounds like a Delaware if they look like the light Brahma with less black in the hackles. But I can't remember if they got them or not. I do know that I think they got broilers in May. And I'm pretty sure that's the only time they got them. We visited plenty of times and rescued a few pasty butts she let us have. I also know that they only ordered pullets, no straight runs,and never ordered bantams. (Of course we all know how sexing goes with non sexlinked breeds lol. One of the pasty butts we rescued was an EE. Right as he began to feather I noticed his shoulders were turning copper colored and I'm like "dang it...." But a kind lady bought him and he will live on 8 acres with the other chicks that she bought and some call ducklings)
The breeds I remember the mill having are

Buckeyes (we bought one as a companion for a lonely polish. Only one to hatch.)
Amberlinks
Golden Comet Sexed pullets
SC Rhode island reds (I think...)
Easter eggers (of course they were labeled ameraucana\araucana though)
Cuckoo Marans
White Broilers
Buff orpingtons
Wyandotte's
Barred rocks
And I remember there were more but not exactly what...

They also got a few unexpected mallards

Last edited:
Hi everyone

I live in PA, but I'm looking for some call ducks in southwest Ohio. I need adult females. Any color is fine, and they'll be pets. :) Thanks

Last edited:
Hi everyone

I live in PA, but I'm looking for some call ducks in southwest Ohio. I need adult females. Any color is fine, and they'll be pets. :) Thanks
how soon do you need them?

I'm looking to get them within the next month, but I can wait longer than that.

I could possibly help relay since I'm between you 2 & know you both.

That would be fantastic, thank you so much!

Hi everyone

Ohio is not allowed to sell birds across state lines right now, unless the place you get them from is NPIP certified. You will need a copy of the certificate. Ducks are included.

Just an FYI, not trying to rain on a parade. I'm not NPIP either...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom