OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

Mine have certainly slowed down, one is molting, the others I attribute more to the heat than the cold, or perhaps the dramatic shift between the two.

I have been finding quite a few feathers but no girl in particular seems to be losing them. Could the back and forth weather have triggered them all to molt? I'm so new to this I have no idea.
It is good to know its not just my girls.

Mine are all at different stages. A few are mostly done molting, most are still loosing feathers- the SF's stick to them as they fall out, and just a few are showing all new quills. Those look a lot like baby hedgehogs. Cute, but alien. The ragged tail feathers look lice infected, but it's just nature taking its course. From 50 plus laying hens I get 9-12 eggs a day. They are really going through food, in addition to foraging all day.im hoping they get done by the end of October.

Last edited:
Molting here as well, looks like a feather pillow exploded out in their area. None are naked, but I notice the old feathers turn more brownish then start to fall out. Blue Cochin is very easy to see her old feathers. Laying is still slow only 50% now from 14 who are coming off worming meds, egg collection can start tomorrow! The roos look horrid without tails but they are coming back in.

Briggadane thank you for sharing. That is a horrid record for them. I pray the owners get their mind off profit and start to care about the people who work there. Work hazards are part of most jobs but that company is seriously neglecting it's responsiblites. No one should work in those conditions.

Back
Top Bottom