OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

you aid you be seen her eat? Is she actually making contact with the food and swallowing? I've had then attempt to eat and fail before.

I had one do something similar and I tube fed her and (as much as I tell everyone not to do this) threw amoxicillin at it. After 4 or 5 days of tube feeding and amoxicillin she started eating and drinking. Went through a 10 day course of meds and she is now fine. She is not laying again yet though, but is healthy otherwise.

When I found her she was just standing in the nest box leaning against the wall like she was drunk.

She ate some goodies. I had some bread and bananas I brought out for everyone. That's what I saw her eat. I may have to bring her in and monitor a meal. I have penicillin and some cipro. I hate to throw meds at unknown illness too. I had given cipro to the older girl and she seemed to get better. Then again that didn't end well. I can tube feed if necessary.

She ate some goodies. I had some bread and bananas I brought out for everyone. That's what I saw her eat. I may have to bring her in and monitor a meal. I have penicillin and some cipro. I hate to throw meds at unknown illness too. I had given cipro to the older girl and she seemed to get better. Then again that didn't end well. I can tube feed if necessary.

You might try this link, it's a symptom checker. Has a section for chickens and ducks, male/female/babies

http://www.poultrydvm.com/symptoms

Eta - and a nice link at the bottom for predator identification, if anyone ever needs it! (hopefully not)

Last edited:
You might try this link, it's a symptom checker. Has a section for chickens and ducks, male/female/babies

http://www.poultrydvm.com/symptoms

Eta - and a nice link at the bottom for predator identification, if anyone ever needs it! (hopefully not)

Thanks! A quick look up suggests worms of various types. I thought my older girl was to weak to worm so I didn't try that with her. This younger girl should handle it fine so that's were I'll start.
That site is really neat. Like chicken WebMD.
1f601.png

Thanks! A quick look up suggests worms of various types. I thought my older girl was to weak to worm so I didn't try that with her. This younger girl should handle it fine so that's were I'll start.
That site is really neat. Like chicken WebMD.
1f601.png

Glad you like it! Yes, WebMD for birds lol
I have no idea how accurate it is, but it sure looks like they went to alot of trouble creating it, so hopefully it has the right info. Good luck with your girl! Let us know

I gave out some goodies before I left for the day. She seems perkier. A little more herself. I went and felt her crop while she's roosting and there is stuff in it. Not a lot but at least something. I'm wondering if it's been a little slow so she slowed her eating. I think I'll add a little VCO to some food for her tomorrow. It has benefits in itself so it won't hurt. I hate to worm unnecessarily and especially in this weather. They are staying in the coop refusing to go out in the cold. I wouldn't want to miss a wormy poop cleanup and spread them further if that is what's going on.

Hello all, just found the Ohio group (not sure why it took so long). But anyway my chicken raising started with hatching a few eggs a lady my wife works with gave her to put under a broody hen my father in law had. And now I'm up to those original 2 ( which were barnyard breed hen and rooster) ౩ Silver Lace Wyandotte ౩ Gold Laced Wyandotte, 2 Barred Rocks, and 1 New Hampshire Red.
welcome!! I love wyandottes ♡ we have 4 Silvers and 3 Golds.where abouts are you located? We are by Utica

I gave out some goodies before I left for the day. She seems perkier. A little more herself. I went and felt her crop while she's roosting and there is stuff in it. Not a lot but at least something. I'm wondering if it's been a little slow so she slowed her eating. I think I'll add a little VCO to some food for her tomorrow. It has benefits in itself so it won't hurt. I hate to worm unnecessarily and especially in this weather. They are staying in the coop refusing to go out in the cold. I wouldn't want to miss a wormy poop cleanup and spread them further if that is what's going on.
good she is perkier. Dewrming would't hurt. Weather is supposed to get better into this coming week so there would be a good chance getting them dewormed

welcome!! I love wyandottes ♡ we have 4 Silvers and 3 Golds.where abouts are you located? We are by Utica

I am just north of you I live in Bellville. Out of curiosity, where do you get your feed from? I've got TSC not too far and they have the DuMor brand which is I believe 16% protein and I've got a local feed mill that has 15%. I was looking for something with a little more protein.

I am just north of you I live in Bellville. Out of curiosity, where do you get your feed from? I've got TSC not too far and they have the DuMor brand which is I believe 16% protein and I've got a local feed mill that has 15%. I was looking for something with a little more protein.
ok I love that area!! Ask if your local feed could add 10% soybean meal protein which will boost-but not over boost-your feed (16oz soybean to 6qt layer feed)
We get ours from our Utica local feed, made fresh every day and the girls LOVE it. It's layer feed & 16% but I add soybean meal protein to bump it up to ~22% protein. For your area, I'd literally run over to Meyer Hatchery off 250 & 89 for feed. I wanted more than 16 as well. They have special feed for our wishes. 27% protein. The higher protein is wonderful during the inside, gloomy outside winter.
Good luck:)

Last edited:
She seems much better today. I brought her in and got a weight. 4 lbs. Then gave her some food with melted VCO drizzled over it. Weighed her again and she ate an ounce. She was ornery too. LOL Kept trying to leave. I did notice she's almost missing a toenail. It's so short I thought she was missing part of her toe!
1f632.png
But she's one tough girl. She survived a serous wound to her side that needed a good 6 weeks of treatment. I don't want to jinx it but I think all will be ok.

Back
Top Bottom