oil spill rant

Msbear

Fancy Banties
11 Years
May 8, 2008
Sharpsburg, MD.
Ok, I really feel terrible to all of those who's liveyhoods are in jeopardy. I cannot imagine being forced out of a career practically overnight. But, on a good note, BP is writing checks like crazy and supporting anyone who is on the losing end... My big question... WHAT ABOUT ALL THE MILLIONS OF WILDLIFE!!!? The fishermen and tourist spots are all in the limelight and we are meant to feel bad for them. But, it is the birds and the fish and the sea turtles that are actually dying because of this ... not the fishermen and tourists. Im sorry people will be losing money but, what about the animals that will be losing their lives... by the millions
sad.png

I saw reporters on a boat earlier this evening documenting the damage... They slowed and videotaped a sea turtle "swimming" (dying) in the oil covered water. It was literally dying right there and no one is helping!!!! Where is BP with their big money bags paying wildlife management teams to go in there and rescue these large mammals and endangered species! I just don't understand. This is the real tragedy... that our money and our oil and our "livelyhoods" are all way more important than the helpless animal lives we impose on daily for the sake of our own means... just sickening.
hit.gif

Note from Nifty: Please read this before participating in this thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=4171204#p4171204

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think a $5000 BP check will go very far when your entire livelihood is destroyed.
Now maybe if BP trains all those, who have lost their livelihood, to help decontaminate wildlife . . .

Quote:
Eleven men died on the rig and the only thing I have seen here so far is people
wondering why are we still drilling and now worried about the wildlife.
Eleven mens lives seem more important than a sea turtle.
For those who know nothing about the benefits of having
oil rigs in the Gulf of Mexico, remove all of the rigs and see
how quick the fish move away.

There are thousand of people out there try to save as many of the wildlife as possible!! Trying to prevent more damage to our marsh lands that contain thoousand of wildlife also. Please don't believe all what you see on tv. Most of it's BS and of course their gonna show you stuff to make you rant like this like nobodies out there do nothing!!

Missi

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a Gulf coaster. This spill makes me sick. I know the University's in the area are planing to spend the summers helping clean. I don't know what they plan for the wildlife, so far I heard of 29 protected sea turtles have washed up dead. The blame game and over 21 days spewing out this poison is unforgivable. The country is also collecting hair. They are going to make absorbent chains of women hose filled with hair to soak up the oil. and it's reusable. I'm going to get my hair cut myself. And pray.

I agree Msbear but I think what really shocked me through this whole thing is those 11 men. Those guys in the mines got mentioned, and when airplanes crash we know their names, when people die in horrible accidents, fires, earthquakes and so on we see those faces and we hear about their families. I just don't understand why these folks lives have not been honored or mentioned or anything. I feel horrible about the animals and I don't think that they should get any less attention. If anything they should get even more. I just want to know about those men. They were dads, brothers,husbands, uncles and so on. I think they could at least have a memorial or something.

Don't even get me started on the whole Tennessee flood issue....oh this makes me terribly angry too.
somad.gif

Off topic edit: Ruby your spastic chicken avatar makes me laugh uncontrollably. I don't know why but it does LOL

Last edited:
Considering the size of the spill and the economic longterm damage which will worsen as the effects of the spill go on, saving the wildlife should be a number one priority. Here's why: Decimated fish and other animals polulations can take years to recover, some may never recover. Damage to the microorganisms that fish depend on to eat results in less fish, which in turn leads to less food for animals and humans - therefore economic loss for decades to come. Seriously, besides stopping the spill and cleaning up the oil that is there, the lives of animals must be considered a HUGE priority because of how it will impact EVERYONE if we loose too much wildlife. Even if there is a large amount of people working to save animals, there cannot be enough help in a situation of this magnitude.

I tried to stir up support here and even offered housing.
I got little but mockery and arguing.

I'm on the volunteer list and waiting to hear back about if they need me. So far there are less than a dozen birds in the rescue centers (that was accurate yesterday, I don't know today's update) so they don't need too many volunteers.

While I agree that it is tragic that people lost their lives, that is done and nothing can change it. The gulf coast ecosystems, on the other hand, have not been destroyed *yet* and we may still be able to stop some damage. Having concern for one aspect of the situation does not mean one cannot care about other aspects.

It's a terrible bad deal all around. Bad for the 11 men dead, bad for the fishermen who now have no way to feed their families, bad for the lowly sea turtles and millions of waterfowl. I disagree with the OP in thinking the animals are most important, as I would rate them below the lost lives and lost livilhoods, but they are still of course important, and the impact of this spill will be huge.

Have they even got it stopped yet?

Back
Top Bottom