OK, day #22 and NOTHING! How long to wait?

mommahento5

Songster
12 Years
Jul 6, 2007
South East Indiana
I have 5 banty eggs in my hatcher and it is day 22 and there is NOTHING happening. How long do I give them before before I can be sure they are not going to hatch? Should I try candling them or anything?

I have had chicks hatch up to day 23 and 24, so you might want to wait. Are your temps high enough? I found that if my temps are a slight bit too low, it takes longer to hatch and also decreases in my hatch rate. I like to stay in between 99.5-100.5.

My temps in the incubator were pretty decent, in the 99-101 range. However the hatcher runs just a little cooler, maybe 98. I am just keeping my fingers crossed and praying that something makes it. On a happy note though, my cat had kittens today!
smile.png

I hope mine hatch.
I did well with my first hatch 8 out of 9 but this time I was expecting hatch on may 10 BC Marens. and buffs orp.
and not even a pip or a peep
but 2 power outages one almost 3 hours and 3 days later an hour.. but temp stayed perfect. I wrapped the batorwith a blanket..temp is on100 and hum.is on 64-65.
wish me luck.
sissy

low temps can def delay. If it were me,
big_smile.png
I would candle....if you think your incubator can bring back humidity in a couple hours.. then you have nothing to worry about. Embryos are very resilient. Just life the top slightly, reach in and grab a couple eggs and look at them.

If the beak has broken the air cell you may want to get a very sharp knife and tap a small hole at the bottom of the egg (top of air cell) This will give your babies some breathing air if their's is running out.... because of delay.

Good Luck!!

ETA: Most folks wait til day 23 to do this... maybe candle and see where they are...if they've pipped the air cell then let them go for 12 hours... if nothing then poke hole.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom