Ok, Do I Border These Blocks or Set Edge to Edge?

Black does make jewel tones pop, though. I'd be tempted. Especially with such a rich selection of colors. It's very pretty.

My husband says he thinks you should sew it as is, with no sash and no border. He thinks it would just be a distraction. He really likes it a lot, by the way.
thumbsup.gif

Honestly, I think it will look great no matter which way you decide to go.

I think that black is a good idea, but I agree that it tends to wear out too quickly.

You can probably try bordering it with maroon, light brown, beige, or deep forest green. If you want to help make th jewel tones pop like Woodland Woman said, I think you'd be able to use a slate gray.

I have sewn the three blocks together edge to edge and I do have a gorgeous black that isn't dull at all, the one with the subtle gingko leaves scattered on it. I think I may just put a 2" border of that all the way around and let that be the end of it. If I don't, I may have to buy a green for the border. None I have are really right for it, IMO. I don't have anymore of the dark reds I used, either, sadly. Though I have several Rubbermaid tubs full of fabric, some colors or shades are lacking. Sometimes I think I only use colors to showcase all my greens, LOL. That's my favorite color, but I'm even running low on that now.

WW, tell your hubby thanks!
smile.png

Here is the black:

DCP_6108.jpg

Runner blocks assembled:

DCP_6106.jpg

I will! He loves quilts and loves to go to the fabric store. He really likes it when I ask him to help pick out fabric for a quilt. Sometimes, he just wanders around and picks up packs of fat quarters that he likes.
big_smile.png

Wow, I like your hubby, WW! My husband was an art major in college and he just shrugs and says "I dunno" when I ask for his opinion, usually. I havent entirely decided on the black yet, but if I do that route, the one above is probably the one I'll use. Maybe this calls for a trip to the fabric store again, LOL.

birdnut, I hadn't thought of a slate gray. Hmm. Decisions, decisions! Appreciate all the input!

I think that I am with Coyote on this. I am thinking that if you wanted something different, I would go with a dark maroon or dark green. My first thought was dark green tone on tone.

Well, all we have here are Walmart, actual quilt shops (pricey) and a quilt shop that is open on weekends at the flea market. Good prices at the flea market one and really nice fabrics, too.

Tonight, Dh and I bought and loaded up a cord of wood into his truck and in the process, I smashed the middle fingernail on my right hand, the one the thimble goes on.
roll.png
So, not sure how much this will slow me down. It really smarts and is blue under the fingernail.

Ow! That sounds terrible! It would have to be your thimble finger. What bad luck. Maybe you need to spend a little more time sipping iced tea and watching your chickens while you heal. You work pretty hard at your house. You could plan some future quilts, maybe make a couple of sketches? I hope it feels better soon.
hugs.gif

On the old traditional log cabin blocks I prefer edge to edge with no sashing. It all comes down to personal preference though. You could try laying one block on a folded piece of black alittle larger than your block & see if you like the framing. I tend to default to black too when I want something framed. At least you are getting around to actually putting it together. I have waaaaaaaaay too many stacks of finished quilt blocks stashed waiting to become quilts...LOL
Karen in Turlock

Back
Top Bottom